Flavor del Mar's Butternut Squash Soup
Prep time: 45 min
Cook time: 45 min
Ready in: 1 hour 30 min
- 5 pounds butternut squash (about 2 medium)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- To Taste Salt and pepper
- 3/4 pound onions (1 large or 2 medium onions), coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 1/4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Halve the squash lengthwise,
scooping out and discarding the seeds.
- Place the squash on a large cookie sheet, brushing the top of each half with the oil. Sprinkle one-half teaspoon each salt and pepper over the halves.
- Roast the halves until golden-brown and a knife easily pierces the flesh, 45
minutes to an hour, depending on the thickness of the squash.
Remove and set aside until cool enough to handle, then scoop out the roasted flesh, discarding the shells.
- In a 4-quart pot, combine the roasted butternut squash flesh with
the onion, garlic, milk, sugar, butter, broth, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Season with one-half teaspoon salt and one-fourth teaspoon pepper, or to taste. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer, stirring
occasionally, and cook for about 45 minutes to marry the flavors.
- Blend the soup, in batches if necessary, then strain into a clean
pot. Stir in the cream and heat until the soup is warmed. Taste and
adjust the seasoning if desired.