Flavorful black bean soup easy recipe for dinner
Classic black bean soup recipe something anyone could never resist
One of the most popular dishes in Brazil, the Portuguese name of Feijoada as you may know as the black bean soup.
The hearty meal always coupled with boiled meats, red, white, as side dish. Sometimes they use bones left-over to create stocks for more flavors instead of water.
This probably one of the dishes I love to make for dinner at least once a week. The meat combination, the recipe variations are something that always awakes my appetite for comfort food.
Each time I think about the black bean I always relate to the meaty soup, savory, delicious and addictive. I would love to cook black bean and meat soup over and over and never get enough.
The black beans also known as the turtle beans, adding richer flavor to any soup base dishes. The purple color intensifies the already deep and hearty taste of the beans.
If you combine the turtle beans with boiled meat, the result is almost and always satisfactory. When cooking black bean soup I always add cumin, since their spicy and earthy taste add a little curry approach which I think a good combination for a meat based soup.
Other than cumin, I always add bay leaves to the soup, as to other dishes such as stocks, and casseroles.
The bay leaves add unique quality, the mix between sweet and bitter, also somewhat pungent at the same time, what an indescribable flavor and yet amazing.
Easy black beans recipe, the combination of meat, stocks, and of course the beans
Most of the time I cook the black bean soup in a more classical way in terms of ingredients and cooking method such as crock pot black beans or black beans pressure cooker .
But using crock pot is not the only option; you can use casserole pot, or Dutch oven.
Honestly I don’t really know if using such cooking tools will make the taste better, but it sound more authentic.
Anyway, you can use whichever cooking approach you feel more comfortable with, crock pot, casserole dish, Dutch oven, or regular sauce pan; I think the taste equally delicious.
Ingredients for black bean soup recipe
About 450 gram or 1 pound of black bean
2 ham hocks, medium to large in size, strip the fat on surfaces
4 chopped garlic cloves
2 peeled and diced yellow onions
Half teaspoon ground black pepper (fresh)
Cayenne pepper (a pinch)
4 sprigs of oregano
3 bay leaves
1 diced red bell pepper; don’t forget to remove the seed
1 table spoon of brown sugar
1 table spoon of lemon juice
2 teaspoons of orange zest
1 cup of yogurt (strained)
1 teaspoon chopped cilantro (mixed with the yogurt)
4 teaspoons of extra light olive oil
20 ml dash of sesame oil (mix them with olive oil)
About 3 liter of beef stock (you can have 3 liter of water instead)
4 teaspoons cumin seed (grounded)
3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
Preparation for black bean soup
Make sure to soak the black beans in water overnight before cooking them to get delicious soup.
Put the ham hocks into a saucepan and bring it to boil, and then remove the water out off the sauce pan.
Carefully see the ham hocks since they usually bring a lot of fat, try to remove any visible fat on the meat surface before cooking process.
Cooking black bean soup easy and simple
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil into heated sauce pan or crock pot and sauté the chopped onions and garlic
- Pour the rinsed and drained black beans into the pot and place the ham hocks in the middle
- Then pour in the beef stock or water, and then add the ground black pepper, follow by a pinch of cayenne while stirring
- Add 1 tablespoon of grounded cumin seed, the oregano and the bay leaves. Bring to boil and simmer for about 1 and a half hour
- Lift both the ham hocks and bay leaves off the pot and place the ham hocks on a bowl, you no longer need the bay leaves at this stage so remove them
- Get about 1 and a half cups each of both beans and the liquid from the pot, pour both into food processor and turn them into purée
- Pour back the purée into the cooking pot through a strainer
- Grab a smaller sauce pan; stir the remaining olive oil along with the red pepper, cumin seeds, brown sugar and parsley.
- Get both lemon juice and orange zest, mix them together before pouring them into the soup, stir them until they all well blended
- Serve the soup and add the combination of cilantro and yogurt on the side
Other black bean recipes
- Black Bean Brownies Recipe : Melissa d'Arabian : Recipes : Food Network
Get this all-star, easy-to-follow Food Network Black Bean Brownies recipe from Melissa d'Arabian.
- Macaroni and Black Bean Salad
This well-seasoned macaroni salad is packed with flavor, with black beans, cilantro, tomatoes, cucumber, and corn, dressed with a mixture of mayonnaise and lime juice. Seasonings in this great tasting macaroni salad recipe include chili powder, cumin
- Black Bean Burgers Recipe : Sandra Lee : Recipes : Food Network
Get this all-star, easy-to-follow Food Network Black Bean Burgers recipe from Sandra Lee.
- How to cook sirloin steak, the easiest way
How to cook sirloin steak? Actually it is quite simple, everybody just can cook it. All we need is to follow basic simple steps, from choosing the right meat, using the right seasoning, follow the cooking method, and after cooked handling. It is fun,
- Easy pizza dough recipe simple to make with a lot of...
Executing pizza dough recipe is quite easy, perhaps you need the first few attempts before getting a perfect round pizza dough and the right taste after baking it. The key ingredient in creating pizza dough from scratch is to have fun.
- How to grill chicken breast getting moist and tender...
How to grill chicken breast perfectly? What you are looking for from grilling chicken breast is to keep up the meat tender and juicy. The tricks are to set the cooking temperature and time to get one piece of delicious grill chicken breast. How simpl
- What you would know about simple recipes with bulgur...
Are there simple recipes with bulgur? There are a lot. But the most important part of having bulgur as breakfast is because its complete nutrient content it has. So try it for yourself and let me know.
- Chicken curry pasta, spicy, savory with a lot of fla...
Chicken curry pasta recipe, something you may want to try by combining both pasta cooking and curry dish as the sauce. The result is something sensational, full of flavors and spicy.
- Simple shrimp pasta recipe
Simple shrimp pasta recipe, easy to prepare and cook, and ingredients are widely available. Actually shrimp has cholesterol so if you have high level of cholesterol you might want to reduce the amount you eat within a week. Other than that this shrim