Food Recipes using Navara Rice
Navara rice, a rich source of proteins is considered good for health. Dishes prepared using Navara rice is suitable for people in all age groups as well as for patients. We can prepare variety of dishes using this rice. It can be prepared as simple rice and taken along with curries or it can be used to make payasam, upma, appam, dosa etc. It can be used for making porridge also. In Ayurvedic treatment, this rice is used for putting Kizhi, popularly known as ‘Navarra Kizhi’.
- Navara rice
- Sugar Candies
- Nuts and Raisins
- Ghee / Refined Oil
- Grated Coconut
- Chilly, Onion, Ginger, Garlic
How to prepare various dishes using Navara Rice?
- Method to prepare Payasam: Take two cup of Navara rice and boil it in four cup milk. Once the rice gets cooked, add required sugar candies. Add more milk and boil the mix to get the required consistency. Fry nuts and raisins in ghee and add them to the boiled mix. Mix these contents well and Serve hot. If possible, milkmaid can be added for better taste.
- To prepare Appam: For preparing appam, make a batter consisting of Navara rice, grated coconut, salt and Jeerakam. Beat these ingredients in mixi and prepare appam. Take 250 gm navara rice, one full coconut, 5 gms of Jeerakam and a pinch of salt.
- To prepare Upma: For preparing upma, break the Navara rice into small pieces using mixi or purchase beaten navara rice from the market. Now, grate 2 green chilly, 2 red chilly, 1 small onion, 1 small piece of Ginger and Garlic and keep aside. Take a Pan and add ghee or coconut oil or any refined oil. The dish will taste better if we prepare upma using Dalda. Once it gets heated, add the grated ingredients one by one. Stir for about 3 mins. Now add 4 cups of water to this pan and when this boils, add 1 cup of broken Navara rice to it and boil in low heat. Add salt to taste. Once the rice gets cooked, add some grated coconut to this and mix well. Add some curry leaves to this. Remove the pan from the stove and serve hot.
- To prepare Navara Balls: Another delicious dish prepared using Navara rice is the ‘Rice Ball’. Take 250 gms of navara rice and fry in a dry pan and beat this into fine rice powder in a mixi. Take this rice powder in a bowl. Grate 200 gms of Jaggery and one full coconut and add this to the rice powder. Add 5 gms of jeerakam to this. Mix all the contents well using hand and roll them into small balls. Tasty rice balls are now ready to be served.