- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Food for Sore Throat
How do you like this recipe?
Home Remedies for Sore Throat
Sore throat occurs when viruses are present in one's throat. According to Chinese medicine, a sore throat is also caused by consuming too much of "hot" food, such as fried or spicy food. Therefore, a sore throat doesn't always accompany a cold such as runny nose, cough or fever. You can survive a sore throat without taking any medication if you have the time to rest and follow the diet below:
- Gargle your throat with warm and salty water (6 oz. warm water with 1 tsp salt) every 30 minutes.
- Drink a glass of warm honey and lemon juice at least twice a day. (It works best if you take your time to sip a little and with each gulp, then you let it drip down your throat.)
- Drink at least 6 glasses of warm water on top of drinking 2 glasses of honey and lemon juice.
- Eat soft food only. Avoid fried or spicy food. Food that are boiled or steamed, such as porridge that is easy to swallow and won't irritate the sore throat, works best. Make sure that you add in some garlic powder because garlic has a powerful natural antibiotic property which can help kill the viruses that causes a sore throat. It is also a great idea to add in some olive oil which can help porridge to go through a sore throat more easily and olive oil contains many health benefits.
- Avoid eating chicken, or any food that contains chicken, but egg is okay. (Both my grandfather and my father were doctors in China and they believed chicken contains something that would irritate the sore throat more based on many tests on their patients)
Cook Time for Making Plain Porridge
Basic Ingredients for Plain Porridge
- 1 cup Rice
- 6 cups Water
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 stalk Carrot (optional), Sliced
- Wash the rice for 2-3 times. In a large pot, boil 4 quarts of water. Add in the rice.
- Keep the heat high until the water is boiling again. Then turn the heat to low and simmer it for about an hour.
- Add in Olive oil, garlic powder and salt.
- Serve warm.
Extra Ingredients for Different Porridges
In order to increase the protein in plain porridge, here is a list of ingredients you can add to the porridge to make different types of porridge. These porridge won't irritate a sore throat:
- Egg Porridge - Crack an egg or two into the porridge, stir for few seconds. Turn off the heat and leave the cover on for a minute before serving. An egg contains 6 - 8 grams of protein depending upon the size.
- Fish Fillet Porridge - Cut 1 fish fillet (4 - 6 oz) into thin and small strips, stir them into the porridge for 30 seconds. Turn off the heat and leave the cover on for a minute before serving. A 4 oz fish fillet contains about 13 grams of protein.
- Fermented Beam Curd Porridge - Skip adding salt into the porridge, stir in 4 cubes of fermented beam curd for few seconds and turn off the heat right away and serve. 4 cubes of fermented beam curd contains about 12 grams of protein.
- Salty Pork Bone Porridge - Marinate 1 lb pork bones with 2 tbs of salt for at least 12 hours. Shake off excess salt and add in the pork bones a pot with 10 cups of boiling water and boil them for 30 minutes. Skim off suds or scums when they present. Then add in the rice and continue to cook for about an hour. No need to add extra salt.
You should feel a lot better within a couple days if you follow the above diet and get plenty of sleep.