Grapes Can Kill
Grapes Should Be Cut In Halves Or Fourths.
Choking is the fourth largest cause of unintentional death in children under 5 years old. I am writing this article because I just heard of another small child who choked to death on a grape. Five years ago, an employee told me of a neighbor whose child got a grape stuck in his windpipe. The mother and grandfather did the Heimlich maneuver repeatedly to no avail. They had to watch the child die as they waited for an ambulance. Recently a woman who joined the lucid dreaming group I attend said she lost her granddaughter the same way. This is entirely too tragic and I am hoping to make people more aware of the problem. Two small children have died within five years, just within my small circle of acquaintances; and that is two too many.
Obviously, a parent who is giving a child grapes to eat rather than candy or other junk food is doing a good thing. Unfortunately, grapes are inherently dangerous for children under five years old. A small child will accidentally swallow a grape whole and it will lodge in their windpipe, closing off the child's ability to breathe. Sometimes the Heimlich maneuver works; sometimes it doesn't. Anyone with small children should read up on how to perform the maneuver. We all have a vague idea of what to do, but if a life is at stake, we need to know exactly. Here is a link that will take you to the appropriate page. It is furnished by the National Institutes of Health. If you have a small child or even if you don't, read up on the Heimlich maneuver. You might save a life.
GRAPES should always be cut into fourths. This way, children get the wonderful nutrition without the risk. I have talked to numerous parents of small children about this because I interact with a lot of them in my work. One thing they bring up is that their children attend birthday parties where grapes are served since nutrition is so much more a factor than in times past when it was ice cream and cake. They say they hate to be a party-pooper. My answer is either poop the party or risk your child's life. Don't be ridiculous. Most of the parents there will appreciate the fact that you cut up your child's grapes and will do the same. Also, remember to caution anyone who cares for your children about cutting up their food and keeping them safe from choking.
Hot Dog Medallions? NO!
Slice Wieners Length-wise
Wieners should never ever be sliced in medallions. These, like grapes, can lodge in a child's windpipe and cut off their air supply. Cut the wieners length-wise. Once again, if you're at a party and hot dogs are served, ask for a knife and cut the wiener length-wise. If anyone remarks that you're being paranoid, tell them there's no such thing when it comes to a child choking.
In the United States, 10,000 children under the age of 5 are taken to the emergency room every year as a result of choking. One child dies every five days in the United States as a result of choking.
Spread the Word
Networking is so important with this threat to our small children. I just posted information on Facebook about the issue and will also post this article and Tweet it, hoping it will draw a young mom's or dad's attention. Talk to any young mothers or fathers in your family about the dangers of children under 5 choking. If they don't take it seriously, quote the statistics above. Wieners and grapes are two of the very biggest offenders; however, popcorn and peanut butter are dangerous also, especially when peanut butter is served on white bread. The peanut butter mixes with the bread and forms a glob that blocks the trachea.
The Trachea of a Child
A small child's trachea is the size of a drinking straw. Just imagine how a piece of popcorn could lodge over it and block off the air supply. It's not that hard to do. Children should eat their meals in an unhurried environment, never feeling rushed to hurry up and finish. They should be provided both food and liquids, but they should never ingest both at the same time, instead, taking sips of drink between bites. Small children should never, ever eat while running, playing and moving around, but should be sitting down while they eat.
Talk to anyone who will listen about this issue when the moment presents itself. You may just save a life. I remember watching a program on TV a few years ago about a woman whose grandchild choked to death on a hot dog while she and her daughter did the Heimlich maneuver over and over and waited for an ambulance that arrived too late. She was spending her days going from one venue to another trying to make people more aware of how much can be taken away in the blink of an eye.
My youngest grandson gets very annoyed with me because I still cut his hot dog length-wise before I put it on the bun. I can live with his annoyance. (Well, actually, he's 8, so maybe I am being a little paranoid.) Help me get this information to everyone you can. Talk to people!
- Memories: Grandpa's House
When my children were small, we often visited their Grandpa in Arkansas. We took those fun times for granted, but looking back, they were some of our very best times. Arriving after a long drive to a fabulous dinner of chuck roast, black-eyed peas, s
- Depression: The Bell Jar
From the time I was a small child, I experienced bouts of depression,