Snacks of Nuts—Foxnuts, Peanuts, and Almonds
Healthy Roasted Makhana Snacks
Makhanas are also known as fox-nuts or lotus seeds. They are obtained from the lotus flowers. The dried lotus seeds are popped like popcorn. Makhana is a non-cereal food, grown in the stagnant water of ponds, wetlands, tanks, lakes and ditches. Popular as a fasting food, its health benefits are superior to those of dry fruits such as almonds and walnuts. This recipe is so simple, delicious, and nutritive plus hygienic. Roasted Makhana with the combination of peanuts and almonds make a great taste if a little spice and salt is added. Not only in taste, but also very rich in nutrition because peanuts and almonds are also rich in nutritional value. So, the 'trio' in snacks is amazing. These snacks are tasty, crunchy, munchy and healthy. It can be a very nice snack for kids too. It's a good choice for evening snacks. Lotus seeds or Makhana is rich in carbohydrates, calcium, protein, phosphorous, thiamine (vitamin B1), iron, and zinc. It's highly rich in potassium but low in sodium, good for hypertensive patients.
Better than other snacks:
- They are homemade. So you know what ingredients you have used and of what quality.
- They are free from excessive preservatives and salt, not beneficial for health.
- These snacks can be easily prepared.
- They can be consumed with any beverage of your choice like tea, milk etc.
So try and have fun! Your favorite snack recipe is mentioned below.
- 50 grams fox-nuts or puffed lotus seeds
- 25 grams peanuts, kernels
- 25 grams almonds, kernels
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon black salt
- 1/4 teaspoon common salt
- 1/2 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee in a pan.
- Add foxnuts to it. Roast for 5 minutes.
- Add almonds and peanuts after that. Stir well.
- Add nutmeg powder, black pepper powder, black salt, and common salt.
- Stir well, then continue to roast all of the ingredients for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- You can check if the moisture has gone and remove the pan from the heat source, or if you feel the snacks are not crispy, you can roast for two more minutes.
- Serve it with any beverage of your choice, such as hot tea, coffee, or milk.
Nutritional Info of Nuts snacks
|Serving size: 100 grams|
|Calories from Fat||135|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 15 g||23%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Unsaturated fat 13 g|
|Carbohydrates 37 g||12%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 15 g||30%|
|Cholesterol 2 mg||1%|
|Sodium 589 mg||25%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Try with other variations of taste too
- Edible gums can be a fun addition to the snacks: Before adding gums, ghee must be heated in a pan until it is very hot. Pop it (like popcorn) and fry it over a medium flame until it's a light brown color. Add it to the aforementioned snacks.
- You can also add roasted coconut flakes too. It will surely be tasty.
- You can vary the flavor by adding other roasted nuts, such as cashews, walnuts, etc.
- The addition of fried curry leaves is yet another way to enhance the flavor of your snacks.
- You can season it with rock salt if you're on a fast or vrat (as per hindu tradition), or you can substitute a few drops of lemon juice and some finely chopped fresh coriander leaves for the salt. In the absence of a fast, any salt and a few drops of lemon juice will do. To that, sprinkle some toasted coconut flakes and poppy seeds. We can expect it to be significantly more delicious than the standard "Indian Bhel Puri Chaat."
- Avoid any salt if the patient is hypertensive and add a minimal amount of ghee, the snacks will still be tasty. The main thing is they must be crispy, so they must be properly roasted.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2019 Sonal Shrivastava