- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Freezer Meals - How to Put Together Make Ahead Meals
Supplies You May Need to Get Started
- Disposable Baking Dishes with Plastic Lids
- Plastic Wrap
- Aluminum Foil
- Hot Glue Gun or Freezer Tape
How to Make Meals That Will Freeze Well
First of all, if you want high quality results, you will want to start with a recipe that is specially created for freezing. There are many sources out there where you can find these recipes. Don't just think that you can just make your stand by lasagna recipe and freeze. If you do this, you may end up with mushy pasta.
Where Can You Find Recipes For Freezer Meals?
I recently made some meals for a family who just had a baby and I used recipes from "The Best Make Ahead Recipes". The recipes in this book have a lot of science behind them and produce fantastic results. I highly recommend the Ziti with Italian Sausage and the Chicken Pot Pie.
Another great source if you are trying to make healthier Meals is "Trim & Terrific Freezer Friendly Meals". It provides more than 200 recipes for healthy and appetizing meals.
Delish.com has 18 recipes for freezer meals from Martha Stewart. You will find recipes for Tex-Mex Beef Enchiladas, Baked Penne with Chicken and Sun Dried Tomatoes, Meatloaf with Chili Sauce, Irish Beef Hand Pies, Bean Burritos and more.
Goodhousekeeping.com has fix and freeze recipes such as Italian Polenta Casserole, Spanish Chicken and Rice, Butternut Squash and Sage Lasagna.
Kitchendaily.com has 12 freeze ahead recipes such as Beef Stew with Red Wine and Root Vegetables, Apple Pie Muffins, Buttermilk Pancakes, Macaroni and Many Cheeses and more.
Tips for Great Freezer Meals
- Be sure to follow all storage instructions
- Use disposable containers with plastic lids
- If freezing something with tomato sauce, use a non aluminum pan. The acid in the tomatoes will cause the aluminum to make the food taste metallic.
- Chinet makes a good paper baking pan for use with tomatoes.
- Make sure to allow food to cool to room temperature before freezing.
- Print baking instructions on paper and attach to plastic lid with a hot glue gun or freezer tape.