French Onion Pork Chops in the Crock Pot or Slow Cooker
How would you rate this pork chop recipe?
Easy Pork Chops in the Crock Pot
When our family's schedules get busy, I love to go to an easy, but delicious slow cooker recipe. What is great about this recipe is that it has very few ingredients in it and the taste is exceptional. Although I have not tried this with chicken, I think that it would be a great alternative to the pork chops if you do not eat pork or do not have it on hand. This recipe would also work if you wanted to use a pork tenderloin in the crock pot.
Ingredients for French Onion Style Porks Chops
- 4 (about 1 1/2 pounds) Boneless Pork Chops
- 1 Box or Can of Condensed Chicken Soup, I used an organic brand.
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4-5 sprigs or 1 Tablespoon fresh Thyme
- 1 small onion
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
Pictures for Crock Pot Pork ChopsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Directions for Slow Cooker Pork Chops
- Slice onions into about 1/4 inch thickness. sprinkle with salt and pepper, and sautee in a pan with the Olive Oil until golden in color. Remove from pan.
- Season pork chops with the salt and pepper on each side and then sear quickly in pan to lightly brown.
- Mix the condensed chicken soup, milk and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Place half of the soup mixture in the bottom of the crock pot. Next put the pork chops in.
- The sauteed onions are placed on top of the pork chops. Put the sprigs of thyme in with the remaining soup mixture over the top.
- Cook the pork chops in the slow cooker for about 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
Picture of Thyme
Crock Pot Cook Book
Facts About Thyme
Thyme is a fragrant herb that has a long history in ancient Greek and Egyptian cultures. The Egyptians used it in their embalming process while the Greeks burned it as incense. The Greeks believed that it helped gain courage. It is has also been used in funerals.
There are many varieties of thyme. They all share a woody stem that must be removed before eating. The leaves and flowers are edible. The beautiful purple flower is a beautiful accent to many culinary delights. Thyme can be infused in water to create a delicious tea. It is also known to help with respiratory problems.
Thyme is very hardy and can be grown in many conditions. It prefers sunny areas with well drained soil. It is a perennial and can handle freezing conditions. I planted mine last summer and it tolerated the Michigan winter well and came right back this year.
Delicious Crock Pot Pork Chops
When I started rummaging through my cupboards and refrigerator for ingredients to add to these pork chops, I have to admit that this wasn't really the flavor that I expected for this dish to have. When I walked into my house after work and smelled the aroma of the pork chops, I immediately thought of French Onion Soup. When I peeked in the crock pot, my mouth instantly began to water. We served this with a side of mashed potatoes and a vegetable to complete the meal. My family enjoyed it very much and the kids asked when I was going to make it again. I would add more onions to the crock pot as well because they had such a delicious flavor. I think that next time I may even add some Gruyere cheese over the top once it is dished out onto the plates to make it truly like French Onion Soup. We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did.