French Toast with a few topping variations
A very popular breakfast recipe, the French Toast is made with thick bread slices soaked in a mixture of beaten eggs and milk with vanilla and cinnamon powder adding to the overall flavor. Due to its easy preparation and a taste that is hard to top, it has become a universally liked breakfast dish.
The thick slices turn out quite juicy from the inside and are crispy on the outside. For toppings, while honey and maple syrups are often used, you can also go with a mix of fruits like bananas, apples, strawberries, ripe papaya and blueberries. Also, spreads are a commonality and you could try jams, peanut butter etc. I have fried the dipped bread slices in butter, so I am not adding it to the spreads mentioned before - I love the richness of the toast when the slices are fried in butter. While I mentioned maple syrup and honey, you could also use other syrups like the one I have shown below (Mango Cranberry syrup) or anything else of your choice.
This is a timeless breakfast dish and its easy to make and so delicious, so let us get to the recipe.
- 10 slices of bread (thick slices)
- 5 eggs
- 10-12 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 3/4 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt (according to taste)
- Butter (for frying)
Preparating the egg-milk mixture
1. Whisk the eggs in a bowl.
2. Add milk to it and whisk.
3. Add cinnamon powder, vanilla essence, sugar and salt and whisk properly.
1. Take a pan, add sufficient butter to fry your bread. Heat on a medium flame. Then slow the flame down.
2. Dip the bread in te egg-milk mixture on both sides so that it will be coated with the mixture properly.
3.Take 1 of these dipped bread and place it on the pan and fry on the slow flame, flipping it when it turns golden brown on either side. Repeat this for your other bread slices as well.
4. The French Toast is ready now.
5. Pour some honey over your french toast slices and enjoy this yummy breakfast dish.
This is a very simple breakfast recipe, easily made and quick, and can be enjoyed with a variety of toppings other than honey. You could use maple syrup too which is one of my favs. But as variations, check out a few of them after the next couple of images.
Toppings - French Toast served with banana chunks and blueberries
1. For each french toast, mash a fourth of a banana and 3/4 blueberries and spread on the french toast.
2. Sprinkle powdered sugar over the french toast.
Toppings - French Toast served as a sandwich with ham and cheese
1. Cut 2 french toast slices in half and add ham and cheese slices in it to make a sandwich.
Toppings - French Toast served with Mango Cranberry syrup and a glass of orange juice
1. Pour some Mango Cranberry syrup and enjoy your breakfast with a glass of orange juice.
Toppings - French Toast served with peanut butter, as a sandwich
1. Halve your french toast slices and spread peanut butter over them to make a sandwich.