- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Fresh Tomato Sauce Recipe for Pasta
Tomatoes are a staple to all sorts dishes made internationally. Tomato sauce has powerful health benefits due to a ingredient found in it called lycopene. Lycopene acts as a power antioxidant, which research has shown to reduce the risk of heart disease, prostate, and breast cancer. It is best absorbed when it is in the form of a sauce, juice, paste, or soups. Therefore, adding more tomatoes to your diet can help you stay healthy and defend against certain diseases.
2 tbsp olive oil
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
1-2 shallots, chopped
1 28oz can Italian diced tomatoes
1 28oz can Italian crushed tomatoes
1 tbsp fresh basil
1tbsp fresh rosemary
1 tbsp fresh parsley
3 tbsp tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the olive oil to medium heat and add the garlic for a few minutes till the fragrance of the garlic is release.
2. Add the onions and lower the heat until the onions are soft and golden. Once the onions are soft add the tomato paste and stir for about a 2 minutes or so.
3. Add the tomatoes at this point and return to a medium heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
4. After 20 minutes of cooking add the fresh herbs and stir into the sauce and simmer for another 25 minutes.
5. Salt and pepper to taste
This sauce is a starter and base for a variety of different pasta dishes. You can even change it to suit your taste.
If you want a thick sauce, once you add the tomatoes you allow the sauce to simmer without a lid on, if you are looking for a smoother consistency you can always add the sauce to a blender once it has cooled down. DO NOT add anything to a blender when it is hot.