- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Fried Rice Dishes: A Column Combination Method
Fried rice is a delicious and healthy food to make. When looking at all the possibilities that can come out of fried rice, it can look daunting. Even in trying to write a recipe for my favorite fried rice I was puzzled in how to write it - which would I choose? What if people don't like that?
Then I realized that it could all be sorted into columns and it would be simple to pick out favorite combinations of ingredients, so that is how I wrote this out. You can easily choose which ingredients you like and dislike while creating your own personal fried rice dish.
Rice Flavors (Choose 1)
Meat (Choose 1 or 2)
Vegetables (Choose A Number)
Sausage (Any Kind, Chicken too)
- 4 Cups Cooked Rice, Jasmine, Long Grain, or your choice.
- 1 Cup+ Meat, From Meat Column
- 1 Cup+ Vegetable, From Vegetable Column
- 1 Cup+ Fried Egg, Optional, but recommended.
- To Taste Seasonings, From Seasoning Column
Fried rice can be complicated and messy. When I started learning how to cook fried rice, I cooked everything separately and added it together.
For an alternate cooking method for beginners:
Cook all the materials separately and add them into a large bowl. You can mix them to your hearts content without having to worry about anything burning or falling out of the pan. If it seems to have cooled down too much just add it all back into the pan and heat it up again.
- Heat pan to a high temperature and add a little oil.
- Begin to cook the meat, unless it is precooked or shrimp. (Explanations below) In separate pan have eggs cooking, we are looking for a nice scrambled consistency and will add soon.
- When meat is half way done, add vegetables and seasonings.
- After a minute you can add the rice and a little oil. Next add the egg. Continue to saute for a few more minutes until the rice is done, as it mostly just needs to be heated through.
- Serve as soon as possible.
Shrimp: Shrimp cooks really fast, and over cooked shrimp is not good. You can add the vegetables and shrimp at the same time.
Vegetables: Make sure they are cut into smaller pieces so that they all cook evenly and are bite sized. A lot of stores have mixed vegetable blends that are around the same size.
Amounts: You can add more of whatever you want, as it is a versatile formula - however I would suggest that you have about the same amount of rice as filler or it is less of a fried rice and more of a meat/vegetable dish that happens to have rice.
Here are four combinations that I really like. Of course you should add or take away whatever you personally like or dislike because with this recipe everything is your decision!
Chicken Rice, Chicken, Bacon, Peas, and Carrots. Garlic Soy Sauce.
Fish Rice, Scallops and Shrimp, with Peas and Carrots. Ponzu and Garlic Butter sauce.
Beef Rice, Teriyaki Steak, Mushrooms, Soy Sauce and Sesame Seeds.
Vegetable Rice, Mushrooms, Peas, Carrots, Onion, Red Pepper, Roasted Peanuts, Peanut Oil. Soy Sauce.