- Food and Cooking»
- Food Safety
From Where to Pursue Food Safe Courses
Food safe courses provide the opportunities to candidates in handling the issues with respect to food poisoning and its prevention. It is the comprehensive food safety training program which is designed for the food service industry. It is an initiative from the province of the British Columbia and further it is developed and managed by the Food safe secretariat which would be in partnership with the BC Center for the disease control.
Universities for providing Food Safe Courses
There are large numbers of organizations who are providing different levels of courses with respect to the Food safety, so that people working or handling in this field could take care properly. Some of the renowned organizations who are offering the food safe courses are- Food safe courses and more, Food Safe, University of Minnesota, IGNOU and many more. The core objectives of the programs are to develop the professionals for development, auditing, implementing and quality of the management in our country. For meeting the global safety for food and the quality requirement, the course is important and provide the capability of analyzing the things in a better manner.
Prerequisites for the Food Safe Courses through IGNOU are:
- Students should have already undergone any graduation with subjects of biochemistry/ chemistry or microbiology.
- They should have the degree with the allied sciences like agriculture/Post harvest technology/ food Science and Technology/ Life Science / Horticulture/ Fisheries/ Hospitality management etc.
- Mainly, they should have completed a degree in the stream of science like- Statistics with physics and math, medical lab technology, Geography, and minimum 3 years of experience in the food processing field/ quality control – (1 year).
- Art graduate with diploma in food science disciplines via vegetable and fruits, meat technology, dairy technology, cereal and with that a 5 years experience is required in food processing and 2 years of experience in Food quality control.
- The BA / BCom candidate with around 7 years of experience or holding some senior position in Govt. /semi-Govt. units involved in the Food quality control.
Fee Structure of the food safe course
The structure of the course varies from organization to organnisation, depending on the requirement of the candidates. Duration of the whole course is from 1 year to 4 years of courses. Further the medium of instructions that is offered by the organization or Universities are- English.
Groups which could be targeted for the courses
The PG diploma is intended for the graduates with the streams of sciences, Agriculture, food sciences and applied disciplines for contemplating career in Food safety and quality Management. Further it is also implemented for the quality and safety of the food.
Opportunities after finishing the food safe course
After completing the course candidates could look for the following opportunities which are mentioned below:
- Quality assurance/ Quality controller /Management professionals with respect to retail industry and laboratories.
- Food safety officer in the regulatory position
- Food Auditor in the field of certification and inspection bodies
- Counselor / trainer with regards to food safety along with Quality management systems
- Self employment as food certification officer and auditing professionals for quality management system and food safety options.
There are many organizations with respect to providing the food safe courses.
Route Map to Food Safety Certification
A day never passes for many without consuming food supplied through ever increasing food supply chains. Food industries also face the problem of managing the supply to the expectations of the customer on the one side and also to ensure SAFE FOOD when such people are out of their home, for some or other purpose and be in a state of consuming the food from the market. Each link in the ever elongating supply chain assiduously working to customer specifications, preferences, private standardization and regulations declared by the Governments, while protecting their brands, break-even and competitive advantages, increases the risk of food safety incidents.
To effectively manage this complex business and quality issues Food Safety Certification and standardization procedures incorporating Food Safety System Certification developed by ISO and recognized by GFSI or similar other standardization program may be applied to the food chain business processes.
How is this possible?
Certification bodies invariably insist on the strict implementation of the quality cycle concept in the organization where such certificate is to be accorded. Smart picture showing the Quality Cycle is self explanatory and implementing in each organization under the guidelines, training programs, internal and external auditing and final certification audit ensures and improves continually the requires Food Safety in this case.
Route Map to Certification:
- A study of the food processing functions in the organization and its structure
- Searching and fixing up recognized certification body.
- Seeking continual improvement based on the feedback from customers
- Management commitment and employee involvement/empowering and review
- New Inputs to the business process and implement corrective action, while devising preventive action. Ensure non-recurrence of earlier mistakes.
Accreditation and Requirements:
To ensure high standards in food safety certification, the standard accreditation body shall meet the requirements of ISO/IEC 17011. It is also mandatory that they shall be members of the International Accreditation Forum (IAF) and also a signatory to the standard IAF ISO/IEC 17021 (QMS/EMS). It is a Multilateral Recognition Arrangement.
Specific industries in the chain under Food Safety Certification:
- Beverages and bottled water manufacturers
- Food Equipment and cooking machines
- Packaging and processing
- Transportation, Distribution and Supply
- Restaurant and Food Service
- Supermarket/Grocery Store
- Seafood Industries
- Storage and distribution
Steps to Food Safety Certification:
- Prepare and approve Food Safety Management Plan and implementation Document – under the guidelines of the identified certification body and regulatory rules
- Implement the FSMS plan
- Appoint the Management representative and QMS set up within the organization
- Conduct Food Safety Internal Audit based on the document guidelines
- Implement few corrective actions based upon the failures
- Get the customer feedback and give them as inputs for revising the processes and product output.
In addition to the above, a periodic training in safety food management, knowledge on regulatory requirement, food borne diseases and minimal management of such diseases, and Cleaning and pest management are to be planned and given to employees in the respective industries at the appropriate time.