- Food and Cooking
Frosted Rose Petals Recipe
Decorate a Cake With Frosted Rose Petals
Rose Petals Recipe
The quantities you need will depend on the amount of petals you are frosting. When selecting petals, do not pick any that have been sprayed with chemicals and choose unblemished ones.
- Large Rose Petals
- 1-2 Egg Whites
- Castor Sugar (Caster Sugar)
You Will Need:
- Fine Eyeliner Brush or Paint Brush
- Sheet of Wax Paper or Greaseproof Paper
- Wire Rack or Large Flat Plate
- Side Plate
- Paper Towel
- Wash your rose petals by holding with the tweezers and dipping them into a bowl of cold water. Gently press with a paper towel to dry.
- Lightly beat one egg white.
- Pour Castor (Caster) sugar onto your side plate and smooth out.
- Place a sheet of wax paper onto your wire rack or large plate.
- With your brush, coat the petals with egg white both sides. Hold the petal with the tweezers and coat both sides in the sugar. Give a shake to remove any loose sugar.
- Place the petal on the wax paper gently.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 until all the petals are frosted.
- Leave the petals to dry out on a flat surface in a warm dry area.
- If you are not using when dry, these may be stored between layers of tissue paper and kept in a box for a couple of weeks in a warm dry place.
- Fancy whipping up an unusual easy desert? Frost small berries and fruits such as grapes (seedless) and strawberries in the same way and arrange on a plate with your frosted petals. Serve with Chantilly cream, ice cream or even alone, they are delicious!
- If you don't have rose petals you may substitute with any other edible flower or petal and preserve in the same way with egg white and sugar.
- Nuts may also be sugared in this manner.
- You may spoon the sugar over the petals if you prefer.
- Use one egg white at a time unless you are frosting petals, fruits or nuts in large quantities.
- Use your egg yolks as thickeners for sauces, custard or use to make a delicious soup.
- Be adventurous and use petals for special occasion cakes such as Valentine’s Day, a wedding, birthday, anniversary or simply thank you.
- Make sure your eyeliner brush or fine paint brush is completely cleaned and sterilized. For eyeliner brushes you can easily make your own makeup remover brush cleanser solution.
- If you picked too many petals why not keep them and make yourself gorgeous potpourri, an easy to make homemade air freshener or add to a relaxing sandalwood bath?
Hues of Pink and Red Rose Petals
Roses and Rose Petals
Also referred to as sugared and crystallized rose petals, frosting rose petals or any edible flower petal is simple to do and makes an exquisite feature on cakes, deserts or even breads.
A simple decorative feature using sugar petals will transform your delicious delights and look far more intricate than it really is.
With only two other ingredients commonly found in the kitchen nothing could be easier when you have the beautiful rose growing in your garden.
Apart from rose petals frosting in this method may be done on leaves, small fruits and nuts.
Here I will give you step-by-step instructions for creating your own frosted rose petals from a few simple ingredients and some additional information on rose colors and their meanings.
Meanings of Rose Colors
Roses have forever been a flower that speaks volumes without words.
With each color of rose conveying certain messages, here is a list of the most commonly found colors and their meanings which is useful to know when using petals for frosting.
If you are working to a color scheme or particular occasion, the right rose petals will make a stunning addition to your recipe as an exquisite decorative and don’t forget edible feature.
It will also show the depth of thought and attention to detail you have used in choosing the right symbol of rose.
Yellow Rose Petals - Friendship
Yellow roses today are known to convey friendship, joy and caring.
A popular color choice in many parts of the world that think of yellow to mean affection, warmth and happiness, there are those that disagree.
In Victorian times yellow was deemed the color of jealousy.
In Italy never give anyone any yellow flowers or include them in frosting as they mean anger and jealousy and deemed extremely rude or insulting.
An earthy, warm, fiery and vibrant color that conveys great enthusiasm, excitement and desire. Orange roses are a great color to use in a Valentine’s Day cakes or bouquet when you wish to convey attraction, admiration and passion in a subtle way.
White Roses - Unblemished
The color of purity, untainted and innocence, the white rose is well known as a bridal or wedding rose.
Often used in bridal bouquets and floral wedding displays, white symbolizes humility, truth and reverence.
The red rose needs very little explanation as the most well known symbol in the flower world for love.
Where would we be on Valentine’s Day without this strong bold statement color?
Known throughout the world as the lover’s rose it means a romantic love, enduring passion and respect.
Pink Rose Petals
The feminine and graceful pink rose is seen as the color of elegance and refinement. Depending on the depth of shade, they will convey different meanings.
A pale soft pink is known to mean happiness, grace, admiration and gentleness.
A vibrant pink shade will convey gratitude and appreciation and would make an ideal color choice for a thank you gift.
These two shades of roses have a mystical quality which symbolizes desire, enchantment and caution.
Another lovely color choice for matters of the heart, Lilac and Purple Roses denote love at first sight.
In some instances – usually when combing red roses with other shades, there are additional meanings.
For example red combined with white symbolizes unity or togetherness whilst a mix of red and yellow roses will convey happiness and gaiety.
Rose Petal Poll
Have you ever used frosted rose petals?
Selection of Some Edible Flowers You May Use
- Citrus Blossoms
© 2013 Suzanne Ridgeway