Fruity Cocktail Fare
Xmas Love Potions
Despite various countries around the world having a host of unusual options for their Christmas dinners, there's nothing nicer than some of the traditional choices, one of which is Fruity Christmas Trifle which offers a delicious refreshing change from the traditional hot Christmas pudding...
Fruity Christmas Trifle
- 80g raspberry jelly
- 80g greengage jelly
- 1 large jam swiss roll
- 50ml medium cream sherry, or more to taste
- 100g flaked almonds
- 410g sliced peaches or canned fruit
- 500ml vanilla custard, cooled
- 150ml whipped cream to decorate
- In two separate bowls, prepare the jelly according to the directions on the package and refrigerate until set.
- Cut the swiss roll into slices and arrange a layer at the bottom of a large glass dish.
- Sprinkle the swiss roll with half of the sherry.
- Using a fork, break the set jelly into chunks.
- Layer the trifle alternately with the sliced peaches or canned fruit, greengage jelly, custard and almonds. Repeat the sequence starting with the swiss roll slices.
- Decorate the trifle with the red jelly, piped cream and flaked almonds.
- Refrigerate and serve once well chilled.
Kingklip & Prawn Paella
This kingklip and prawn paella makes a lovely starter for Christmas lunch or served as a meal on its own. Mussels and calamari make good additions to this paella as a variation, in which case you would marinate the mussels and calamari with the kingklip and prawns.
- 1 kg rice, long grain uncooked
- 1 kg kingklip fillet, cut into small pieces
- 1 kg prawns, cut and deveined
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- sunflower oil
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 200 g button mushrooms, sliced
- tabasco sauce
- 4 tbsp chilli sauce
- 4 clove(s) garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp masala
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp tabasco sauce
- Cook the rice in salted boiling water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Combine all the marinade ingredients and marinate the kingklip and prawns for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry the onions in a little oil in a very deep frying pan or wok until golden brown.
- Add the peppers and fry for a further 10 minutes; add mushrooms and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add about 15 ml oil to the frying pan and transfer the marinated kingklip and prawn mixture to the frying pan and stir fry for 10 minutes, or until the prawns turn pink.
- Layer the ingredients in a large saucepan as follows, first, about one-third rice then half onion and mushroom mixture, then half kingklip and prawn mixture and sprinkle each layer with a few drops of tabasco sauce, season with salt and dot with butter.
- Continue this way until all ingredients have been used up.
- Steam the paella, covered, over a medium heat for 30 minutes. (Serves 10)
And here are some funky Christmas Cocktails to sip on. (Please enjoy alcoholic drinks responsibly).
30 ml Baileys
30 ml Kahlua
30 ml Vodka
1 glass Eggnog
Swirl Irish Cream, Kahlua and vodka gently in a cocktail shaker with ice to chill. Strain into glass. Swiftly fill glass with cold Eggnog to mix.
Christmas Cranberry Fruit Punch
45 ml Rum
15 ml Triple Sec
90 ml Cranberry juice
30 ml Raspberry juice
Shake ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Strain into glass.
Rudolph's Raspberry Love Potion
7.5 ml Dark Chocolate
7.5 ml White Chocolate
15 ml Raspberry Liqueur
15 ml Vodka (Raspberry, if possible)
60 ml Cream
Drizzle chocolate along the sides of a large martini glass. Combine ingredients in a mixing tin with ice. Shake vigorously and strain into martini glass. Sprinkle chocolate shavings on top.
30 ml White Rum
30 ml Vermouth, extra dry
Shake ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Strain into a cocktail glass.