Fun 4th of July Dessert: Red, White & Blue Strawberries
July 4th will be here before you know it and that means cookouts, BBQ's and fun in the sun. Dessert isn't usually considered the healthy part of a meal but this fun recipe is healthier than you think.
Both strawberries and chocolate are packed with antioxidants which fights cholesterol. So, this is a sweet treat that can do you a world of yummy goodness. Now remember, this is chocolate so you don't want to keep them in the sun because they'll melt. Keep them covered and cool. This recipe will make about 30 strawberries.
- 1 - 12 oz bag white chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 qt large whole strawberries
- blue food coloring
- wax paper, to lay the strawberries out on
- Lay out some wax paper for the berries to cool after preparation.
- Divide the chocolate and butter into half and put in two microwavable containers melting one container using 50% power setting on the microwave. Stop after one minute to stir. Repeat until melted.You can also do this on the stove top just don't melt too fast.
- Dip each strawberry into the chocolate about half the way up the strawberry. Lay on the paper until they harden then put them in the refrigerator til set.
- Add as much blue food coloring as needed to turn the chocolate blue to the second container.
- When the strawberries are set, remove them from the refrigerator and dip each strawberry part way, allowing both red and white to show.
- Lay on the wax paper again until they harden and then put them in the refrigerator until they set.
If white chocolate isn't your favorite chocolate and you prefer dark or milk chocolate, just replace the white chocolate with your preferred chocolate. To get the red, white and blue effect, use white and blue sprinkles over the chocolate covered areas.