- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Funnel Cakes an Easy Summer Recipe that is Fun to Make with Kids
This article was created by a work from home mom; join us at HubPages to work from home and become part of a great community. It’s free, click here to join: HubPages
PA Dutch Funnel Cake
Funnel cakes are popular at carnivals, fairs, sporting events, and seaside resorts. They are made by pouring batter into hot cooking oil in a circular pattern and deep frying the overlapping mass until golden-brown. Funnel cakes are typically served plain with powdered sugar, or with jam, cinnamon, fresh fruit, or other toppings. It's easy to make your own funnel cake at home!
State Fair Funnel Cake
Amusement Parks State Fairs Carnivals The Boardwalk
Long a staple of the local carnival, state fairs, amusement parks and the Jersey Boardwalk, the PA Dutch Amish Funnel Cake traces its roots back to German Immigrants setting in Pennsylvania Amish Country. The Amish traditionally served funnel cakes at special occasions and celebrations. Today we find them served at street fairs and food festivals throughout the summer. Nothing says summer like Funnel Cake!
The Name Funnel Cake
These cakes were given the name funnel cake because the traditional method used to make these cakes is to pour the batter into a funnel. As the batter comes out the bottom of the funnel you swirl it around in the pan of oil to create the lattice design. Today, there are many methods used to create the cakes, you can use a funnel, or one of the fancy new batter droppers that are used for pancakes, cupcakes and funnel cakes. You could also use a pouring funnel, squeeze bottle, or as we have in this recipe you could use a ziploc type food storage bag to squeeze the batter.
Make your own Funnel Cake Kits
There are several kits on the market to make your own funnel cake at home. They usually include a special pouring pitcher, a cake ring to help hold the shape of the cake, batter mix, powdered sugar and more.
Whatever method you choose to make your funnel cakes, one things is for sure, they are delicious!
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 2 cups Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- Powdered Sugar, For sprinking on top of cakes
- Frying Pan, 2 inches of oil for frying
- Gallon Size Plastic food Storage Bag
- In a large skillet heat the oil to 350 degrees.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk the wet ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
- Mix all ingredients well and let batter rest for about 5 minutes. If it is too runny add additional flour.
- Add batter to Ziploc type food storage bag. Snip off the edge of one corner to make a hole for the batter to come out - not too big a hole, start small and then you can always increase the size.
- Squeeze the batter into the frying pan. Start with a big circle and connect the ends. Then crisscross all over and make a lattice type pattern.
- Cook 2-3 minutes on each side - until golden brown. The second side won't take as long as the first. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn.
- When golden brown remove from oil and place on paper towels to drain.
- Serve warm, sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy!
Funnel Cake With Strawberries & Cream
Funnel Cakes Recipe
Visit Lancaster, PA
- Hotels and Accommodations - Find cheap hotel rooms - TripAdvisor
Get the best hotel room from 900,000 hotels and motels worldwide ranked by 80,000,000 reviews and opinions from TripAdvisor travelers.