Recipe - Garlic Mashed Potato (Potatoes) For Sandwich Filling (Indian Alu Chokha)
Garlic Mashed potato
Indian name : CHOKHA or ALU CHOKHA
Garlic Mashed potato is one of the several verities of mashed potatoes. Although it is slightly more spicy than the regular mashed potato recipe.
Ingredients Serve for 2 -4
- Potato (Alu) medium size 4 no
- Garlic 5 cloves, chopped
- Red chilli 2 no, chopped
- Mustard oil 3 tsp
- Salt to Taste
- Boil the potatoes and then peel those.(If you like to boil the potato in a pressure cooker put the potatoes in a 2 ltr. Pressure cooker. Add 2 cups of water and put on high flame. When pressure released once lower the flame and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the flame but don’t release the pressure. Keep aside till it cools down. Remove the potatoes from the cooker and peel.)
- Mash it well.
- Put a pan on the flame
- Add oil
- When oil is sufficiently heated and smokes starts coming out, lower the flame and add garlic and red chilies
- Sauté for a few seconds till the garlic turns brownish
- Add mashed potatoes and mixed well.
- Serve with rice
- Can be used also as a filling for your sandwich
- You can cook the mixture for further few minutes till oil starts separating from the mixture it would give a better taste. But you have to stir it continuously during the cooking.
One of my fellow Hubber Dreanreachout has informed me that this recipe is called 'CHOKHA' or 'ALU CHOKHA' in North Indian States like UP. MP, Bihar etc. with a slight modification in the procedure. You have to add onion along with garlic. Onion has to be fried well before adding mashed potato to it.