Garlic Spare Ribs Recipe
Where in Montreal is Ruby Foo's located?
Garlic spareribs bring back fond childhood memories for me. When I was a little girl living in Montreal, my dad and I used to go out for dinner quite often on a Saturday night. Whenever he would ask me what I'd like for dinner my usual reply would be spareribs. Seems I could never get enough of them. We would jump in the car and head to Ruby Foo's. This was back in the 1960s before the restaurant became a Hotel. I recall it was a comfortable restaurant with friendly staff, and I always felt at home there.
We'd order ribs and steamed rice along with a vegetable dish. The ribs would come in a large bowl and be smothered in this wonderful garlic sauce. The sauce was so good we'd spoon it onto the rice.
When we moved away from Montreal my dad would try to replicate the ribs with all kinds of concoctions. I remember one day coming home late to a man that was quite upset. He had spent all day cooking one of his replicated sauces and because I was three hours late for dinner, he made me sit and eat a third of what he'd made. Let's just say they were the worst ribs I've ever eaten.
After many years and pots and pots of ribs he hit on a sauce he found, and I have to say it's the closest I've ever tasted to Ruby Foo's garlic spareribs. Thank you VH!
The sauce is from VH Sauces and is called Strong Garlic Rib Cooking Sauce. When dad found this sauce you would think that he'd won the lottery.
- 2 pounds of pork side ribs (back ribs can be used as well), cut individually or in sections
- 1 jar of VH Strong Garlic Rib Cooking Sauce
- Prepare the ribs by rinsing them under cold water and cutting them individually or in four sections with a sharp knife.
- Place in a large pot and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil and turn the heat down to medium and cover the pot. Let the ribs gently boil for sixty minutes.
- Drain the ribs and set aside. Wash out the pot or use another pot to boil the VH sauce. Once the VH sauce is boiling add the ribs and stir. Boil for five to 8 minutes.
- Place ribs with sauce into a bowl. Serve and ENJOY!
Dinner's ready, let's eat!
Does this sound good? Please rate.
Ribs in VH Strong Garlic Rib Sauce
|Serving size: 8 oz. serving of ribs|
|Calories from Fat||342|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 38 g||58%|
|Saturated fat 14 g||70%|
|Carbohydrates 48 g||16%|
|Sugar 42 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 41 g||82%|
|Cholesterol 150 mg||50%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
view quiz statistics
Side Dishes to Serve With Garlic Spare ribs
One or more of the following side dishes go quite well with the garlic spare ribs
- Steamed rice
- Fried rice
- Vegetable stir fry
- Steamed veggies
- Shrimp stir fry
- Chicken stir fry
- Egg rolls
- Spring rolls
- Asian salad
There are many different types of VH Sauces to choose from. You can find them in most grocery stores or purchase them from ebay.