German Potato Salad: Serve it warm and yes, there is bacon in it.
My great grandmother passed down this recipe to her daughter-in-law. That daughter-in-law was my grandmother.
If you don’t like traditional, cold potato salad, give this a try. It is best served hot. I have never topped it with anything but I imagine sour cream and chives would make a good topping. I prefer Yukon gold potatoes but any potato could be substituted. I know many prefer the red. I did not take off the skins in this recipe but I recommend doing so especially if you use a baking or red potato. Yukon gold potatoes have such thin skin that I rarely peel them. They have a great taste and texture to them as well.
My grandmother liked salt on everything and she would add salt to taste. I did not add salt to this recipe as it is salty enough for me. I recommend tasting it and adding or not adding salt according to your preference.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I and my family do.
It's ready right out of the skillet
- 1 pound Bacon, Fried (save bacon fat)
- 7-8 medium to large Potatoes, Peeled, Chopped, and Boiled
- 1/2 cup Celery, Chopped
- 1/2 cup Onion, Chopped
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Vinegar, Apple Cider or White
- 1/4 cup Mustard
- (Optional) Salt, Just to taste
EnjoyClick thumbnail to view full-size
Step by Step Instructions
- Fry 1 pound of bacon in large skillet. Remove bacon from pan and place on paper towel. Save the bacon fat in the skillet and set aside.
- Peel and cut up 7-8 medium to large potatoes. Boil until tender. I left the skin on my potatoes but this is optional. Any potato will do.
- When the potatoes are tender, set them aside to cool.
- Cut up your onion and celery and add to the bacon fat in the skillet. Saute until tender.
- Once they are tender add your sugar, vinegar, and mustard. Taste this and see if it is to your liking.
- Once the skillet mixture is well mixed, you may add your potatoes and stir.
- Crumble up your 1 pound of bacon and add to skillet. Stir.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve potato salad warm and store in your refrigerator.