How to make Nei Sadham or Ghee Rice South Indian Tamilnadu or Madras style recipe
Home made tasty Ghee Rice
Madras style Ghee rice recipe
Prep time: 3 min
Cook time: 30 min
Ready in: 33 min
Yields: serves two people
- 1 cup Long grained rice, (Basmathi rice)
- 1 Onion -, (large, finely sliced)
- 2 Red chilies, (slit lengthwise)
- 4 Cloves
- 2 Cardamom
- 1 Cinnamon stick, (2 pieces)
- 2 Bay leaf
- 10-12 Cashew nuts, (break into small pieces)
- 4-5 Badam (Almond)
- 10-12 Dried grapes
- Salt to taste Salt to taste
- 4 tbsps Ghee
Cashew and Almond are getting fried in Ghee
Hot ghee with cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and bay leaves
Sauteed Red chillies, sliced onions in Pressure Cooker
Rice getting sauteed in the Cooker
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, add 3 tablespoons of ghee and allow it to melt. Once hot, reduce the flame; add the cashew nuts, almond and sauté till it becomes golden brown. Remove the sauteed ingredients and place it in a separate cup.
- Add the raisins(dried grapes) in the same vessel, and saute for a few seconds and place it with the sautéed cashew and almond.
- In a pressure cooker, add 1 tablespoon of ghee and once ghee is hot, add the cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and bay leaf. Allow it to splutter.
- Add the red chilies in the cooker and sauté for few seconds.
- In the same pressure cooker add the sliced onions and fry till it becomes golden brown.
- Now add the drained rice and sauté on low flame for 4 minutes. Do not over mix, as the rice might break. Add 2 1/4 cups hot water and required amount of salt. Close the lid and allow the cooker to give 4 whistles. Switch off the flame when whistles are done.
- Wait till the pressure gets released, remove the lid and mix well the sautéed cashew, almond and raisins.
- Garnish the dish with sliced Cucumber, Sliced Tomato & chopped coriander leaves(if required).
Serve hot with chicken curry or paneer curry or egg curry or potato curry.