Ginger and Pork Leg Tonic Soup Recipe
How do you like this soup?
Ginger and pork leg tonic soup is one of the popular soups for women after childbirth. It contains the important ingredients that a woman needs after giving birth - ginger, pork leg, eggs, sweetened vinegar sauce and black vinegar. This soup has been wildly used for hundreds of years among Chinese women during the first month after they have given birth.
- Ginger helps to warn up the internal Qi and to block any germs from coming in.
- Pork leg, egg and peanut help replenish the protein, iron and calcium a woman has lost during childbirth.
- Sweetened Vinegar Sauce helps reduce the strong, hot and tangy taste of ginger. Because vinegar is high in acetic acid, it helps increase a body's absorption of minerals such calcium which is very important for woman who has just given birth.
- Black rice vinegar contains many essential amino acids a body needs. It can help repair muscle tissues that are damaged during labor, and help to increase the body's energy and metabolism.
- 2 lb Ginger
- 3 lb Pork Leg
- 6 Eggs
- 2 cups Peanuts
- 10 cups Vinegar Sauce (Sweetened)
- 1 cup Black vinegar
- Remove the skin from gingers, cut them into desirable size and crush them with a big knife. (You can wash the ginger to reduce its strong taste.)
- In a large ceramic pot, add in sweetened vinegar sauce and ginger and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer.
- Chinese love to precook the pork legs in order to remove most of the fat and scums easily. (It is optional.) Wash and cut the pork legs into about 10 pieces and put them in a large pot with 2 quarts of boiling water. Bring the water to a boil again and turn off the heat. Put pork legs into a separate container and rinse off all the scums, then put them aside.
- Empty the hot water along with all the oil and scums in the large pot. Clean the pot.
- After the ginger has been simmered for an hour, add in pork legs and peanuts and bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add in black rice vinegar. If you want to boil the eggs with the soup together, add them in now and bring the soup to a boil, them reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- If you want to boil the eggs in plain water, use a different pot and boil the eggs in 3 cups of water for 10 minutes. Raise them right away with cold water, remove the shell and use a chopstick to poke some holes in the eggs so that the soup can slip inside the egg york. Then add them in after the black rice vinegar has been simmering for 30 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it sit for few minutes before serving.
If you have never eaten Ginger and Pork Leg soup before, it is always wise to try a little first. Stop drinking this soup if you experience a rash, heartburn, bloating or any signs of allergic reactions.