- Food and Cooking
Gingerbread - My Grandma's Recipe
My Grandma made this recipe for me when I was a child and she made it for my Dad when he was a child too. This recipe has been adapted from an Old English recipe, therefore some of the measurements are by weight.
1 Cup (2 sticks) Butter
1 Cup Molasses
12 oz (weighed) All Purpose Flour
2 Tbsp Ground Ginger
2 tsp Cinnamon
3 tsp Baking Soda
1 1/4 Cups Milk
8 oz (weighed) Light Brown Sugar
2 Eggs, Beaten
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease an 11 x 7 x 2 inch baking pan and line the bottom with parchment paper, grease the parchment paper.
- Melt the butter, brown sugar and molasses in a saucepan.
- Sift the flour, ground ginger and cinnamon into a large mixing bowl. Add the melted mixture along with the beaten eggs and mix well.
- Place baking soda in a small bowl; warm the milk to lukewarm temperature then add it to the baking soda, mixing well. Combine with ingredients in large bowl, mixing well.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 60 minutes. Remove from oven, cover top with parchment paper and return to oven to bake for an additional 30 minutes.