Bread and Butter Pudding
This bread and butter pudding tastes fabulous and is made using gluten free bread so everyone can have a dessert they can enjoy. The creamy pudding can be served hot or cold, with cream, ice cream or custard, or just as it is.
By leaving the crusts of the bread on, you get a lovely mixed texture, all the goodness of the crust and no waste!
I have added my own twists on a classic bread and butter pudding by adding a fruit mix, rather than the more traditional sultanas, but you can use any dried fruit you like.
- 400g/8 Slices White Gluten Free Bread, Sliced
- 25g/1oz Unsalted Butter, Room Temperature
- 50g/2oz Fruit Mix, Dried
- 350ml/12fl oz Milk, Whole
- 50ml/2fl oz Cream, Double
- 2 Eggs, Large
- 25g/1oz Sugar, Granulated
- 2 tsp Cinnamon, Powder
- 2 tsp Nutmeg, Grated
- Preheat the oven to 180C/355F/Gas 4.
- Grease a 1 litre/2 pint pie dish with some of the unsalted butter.
- Spread each slice of gluten free white bread with the remaining unsalted butter, then cut into triangles.
- Arrange a layer of bread, in the greased dish, butter side up.
- Share about half of the fruit mix over the layer of bread along with a sprinkle of nutmeg and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Repeat the layers of bread, fruit mix, cinnamon and nutmeg until you have used up all of the bread. (usually two layers)
- In a medium saucepan, gently warm the milk and cream over a low heat to scalding point (don't let it boil) a good way of doing this is by heating on the lowest hob setting.
- Crack the 2 large eggs into a bowl, add about three quarters of the sugar and lightly whisk until pale.
- Add the warm milk and cream mixture to the eggs and sugar mixture and stir well.
- Pour the mixture over the prepared bread layers and sprinkle with nutmeg, cinnamon and the remaining sugar and leave to stand for 30 minutes.
- Place the dish into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the custard has set and the top is golden-brown.
- Serve hot with cold double cream, ice cream or custard. Also tastes great cold, or can be re-heated in the microwave.