- Food and Cooking»
- Dietary Restrictions»
- Dietary Restrictions for Health
Gluten-Free Carrot Cupcake Recipe
Create a Gluten Free Flour Combination
Gluten Free Carrot Cake - Tastes so good!
The secret to baking gluten free is to find the right combination of flours that create the texture to resemble baking with wheat flour.
In this recipe I included guar gum to give texture to white rice flour and almond flour. It is not perfect by any means but I and my family found the texture chewy and dense enough to resemble a traditional carrot cake. One mistake I did make was to grate the carrots on the large slice of my mixer. Next time I would use the smaller grater.
As with much of my gluten free baking I started with a recipe from a non gluten free source that I know works either because I or someone I know has made it and then I adapt the flours. This recipe was adapted from Bake and Decorate by Fiona Cairns (www.fionacairns.com ). If you don't want or don't feel confident experimenting and mixing your own flours try a 1/2 and 1/2 combo of almond and brown or whte rice and add 1/3 guar gum; or use Bob's Red Mill pre-mixed all purpose wheat free flour minus 1/3 called for in the recipe and add guar gum or sourghum flour.
Please Rate this Recipe
Making Gluten Free Carrot Cupcakes and Topping in Pictures
Ingredients for the cake
- 1 cup chopped and toasted pecans
- 1/2 cup white or brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1.3 cup guar gum
- 2-3 tsps cinammon
- 1-2 tsps nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup sunflower oil
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large or 4 medium eggs
- 1 2/3 cups grated carrots
- I orange finely grated zest, (use juice in topping)
- For the Topping Cream Cheese with orange
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 Orange juice from previously zested orange
- 5 1/2 oz cream cheese
Method for Cake and Topping
- Place papers into muffin cups and pre-heat oven to 325F. Chop and grate the pecans and carrots
- Sift together the flours, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking posder, soda and salt into a bowl or measuring jug. Place oil and sugar into electric mixer and beat until combined and smooth.
- Gradually beat in the eggs one at a time. Pulse in the carrots, pecans and orange zest. When combined pulse in flour mixture. Do not over process.
- Using a spoon or ice cream scoop place the mixture into the cup cake papers. Bake for 20-25 mins. The cakes should spring back when you lightly press with your finger or insert a toothpick. The cakes are ready if the toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add the cream cheese and continue to beat. Slowly add in enough orange juice until the mixture is spreadable but not runny. Spread onto cakes whilst still a little warm. Top with more chopped pecans or other decorations as desired.