- Food and Cooking»
- Dietary Restrictions»
- Dietary Restrictions for Health
Gluten Free Chicken Tortilla Soup
There's a lot of room to play with this recipe. If you like your soup spicy, add a little more chili powder and jalapeño. If you're a little more like me, and don't do well with spicy foods, add a little more salt and diced tomatoes. This recipe turns our quite chunky, but if you want yours more on the soupy side, add more chicken stock and less onion.
I found all of the ingredients needed at my local Ralph's. Most grocery stores now have a large variety of gluten free products, including the tortillas. For cooking spray I used the olive oil Pam.
I was able to pre-package and store about 5 servings (after we had already eaten 2 fresh bowls!). The avocado doe not keep very well, so just add a little avocado and lime right before you serve each time.
- 12+ gluten free corn tortillas, cut into 1in. strips
- natural vegetable or olive oil cooking spray
- 1-2 tbsp mild to medium heat chili powder, I used an ancho chili powder
- 1/2 - 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped/minced
- 2 fresh bay leaves, (or a few pieces of ground bay leaves)
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- 1 quart + chicken stock
- 14oz. can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breast, defrosted
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Tbsp gluten free corn oil
Ingredients to Add Right Before Serving
Before serving place diced avocado in the bottom of the bowl (as much as you'd like!). Add a dash of lime juice as well, then dowse it in fresh soup!
If you are not bothered by dairy, sprinkle with cheese and add a dollop of sour cream! Otherwise this recipe is also dairy free.
Crispy Tortilla Strips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- spray baking sheet with natural vegetable or olive oil cooking spray
- spread out half of you corn tortillas (about 6 tortillas) cut into 1in. strips.
- spray another coat of cooking spray on top of the tortilla strips
- place in oven until golden brown or crispy.
Combine in mixing bowl: Chopped white onion, chopped red onion, chili powder, cumin, chopped garlic, bay leaves, and cilantro
1. In large soup pot, heat corn oil on medium heat
2. Add remaining tortillas (about 6) cut into 1/2 - 1 inch squares. Stir for 1 min.
3. Add ingredients from mixing bowl. Stir and cook until onions are translucent. About 15 min.
4. Pour in chicken stock and tomatoes with chiles. Bring to a boil.
5. Add defrosted chicken breasts. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes (until chicken is cooked through).
6. Remove chicken from soup. Add seeded and chopped jalepeno. Shred or dice the chicken.
7. Return chicken to the soup pot. If you used whole bay leaves while cooking, remove the bay leaves. Let simmer on low heat.
8. Dice avocado (I use about half an avocado per bowl because I love it!). Place avocado on bottom of bowls. Squeeze lime juice into bowls (I use about half a lime for each bowl).
9. Pour soup into bowls, dowsing the avocados and lime!
10. Add crispy tortilla strips and enjoy!
- Up until this point the recipe is completely gluten free and dairy free. If you are not bothered by dairy you are more than welcome to add cheese and sour cream. Since I am also eating dairy free meals I have not done research on gluten free dairy products.