- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Gluten Free Popcorn
The basic recipe is given below, followed by two variations.
As stated, with the basic recipe, the calorie count is 30 per cup.
With the addition of the oil, it is about 55 calories per cup.
Of course, if you decide to use butter, the count will be about 133 calories per cup.
For the calorie count with the chocolate, refer to the chocolate package.
Gluten Free, Sugar Free and Dairy Free
Well, the basic recipe is gluten free, sugar free and dairy free - and it only has 30 calories per cupful. But it's not very tasty like that, so I like to add a variety of ingredients, which does, of course, add to the calorie count as well.
Popcorn is one of my very favourite snacks when I'm watching television in the evenings and I do change the flavourings, as well as the method of cooking. Even my pooch has her favourites, although she does not get to sample the chocolate ones as that's a definite no-no for dogs.
Rate These Simple Recipes
The Chocolate Popcorn Alternative
While the Chocolate Popcorn tastes good, it is important to note that a number of brands of cooking chocolate, including the one pictured, are not gluten free. If gluten free is a necessity for you, check carefully before purchasing. There are more brands of melts and chocolate chips that are gluten free, but these are too difficult to grate, unless you use an electric food processor. The addition of Cinnamon not only boosts the flavour but also the nutritional value.
With Yeast Flakes
- 3 heaped dessertspoons Popping corn
- 1 dessertspoon Olive Oil
- 2 dessertspoons Savoury Yeast Flakes
- light sprinkling salt
- Simple Method: Place popping corn in container or brown paper bag, seal container, microwave on high for 1.45 minutes or until popping slows.
- With Yeast Flakes: Measure oil into base of microwave popcorn maker, add popping corn, sprinkle lightly with salt, stir a little. Cook as above. When cooked, sprinkle with Savoury Yeast Flakes.
- With Grated Chocolate and Cinnamon: Cook as in the Simple Method. When popped, sprinkle with grated chocolate and cinnamon.
Vegan and Vegetarian
Gluten free popcorn is also a great nibble treat for vegans and vegetarians. As you will see in the photograph below, there is a container of vegetable powder for adding to soups and stews. This also goes very well if a small amount, say half a teaspoon, is sprinkled over the popped corn. It gives another flavour that I find tasty, and I'm sure you would, too. I usually add this with the oil and salt version.
Nutritional Yeast, or Savoury Yeast Flakes, as it is also known, is popular with vegans and vegetarians. It is a good source of protein and of Vitamin B-12 and gives a cheese-like flavour. This yeast is sugar free and in it the yeast has been deactivated.
If you love your popcorn savoury, you'll probably think of several alternatives yourself, but here's another that's a little more sophisticated:
Cook as the basic popping corn recipe, then spray lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and black pepper.
You could even try a little powdered chilli!
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Did You Know?
- That, although popping corn should not be used as a substitute for vegetables, it is as healthy as vegetables?
- That popping corn has more antioxidant substances (polyphenols) than fruit and vegetables, according to research by the University of Scranton in Pennsylvania?
- That popping corn is linked to a reduction in heart disease and certain cancers?
- That popping corn is 100% wholegrain?
- That popping corn is a great source of fibre?
A Healthy Snack
Now you have read all this, out with the popping corn tonight. It'll only take a few minutes and you can settle down together and enjoy the evening, although it's very more-ish and it might be best for you each to have your own bowl of popcorn!
Have fun and have a great evening!
© 2014 Bronwen Scott-Branagan