- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
Go Bananas for the Best Banana Bread Recipe Ever!
How to Make Banana Bread
I'm sure many of you have looked at your fruit bowl and seen ripe yellow bananas with brown speckles on them. These are bananas which are at there sweetest stage and perfect for making banana bread.
Whenever my kids see the bananas in an over ripe state they always ask 'mum you going to make banana bread' and if I'm not in the mood at the time they ask, I get a rendition of 'pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!' And when I look at their pitiful little faces I cannot say No!
So here is the recipe for same banana bread that i make for my little cherubs. I also give a few versions such as choc chip, cinnamon, nuts and blueberry banana bread.
Banana Bread Recipe
- 250g Self Raising flour or All purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 150g butter
- 200g dark brown soft sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 large ripe bananas or 500g or crushed bananas
- Preheat over at 180C/Gas mark 4. Grease a 23x13 bread loaf tin.
- In a small bowl beat eggs and set aside
- In another small bown mash bananas with a fork and set aside
- In a food mixer or a medium size bowl cream the sugar and butter, add vanilla essence, beaten eggs and mashed bananas until all blended and transfer to a medium bowl
- Add the flour and baking powder by sifting them into the bowl with the sugar and butter mixture.
- Fold in the sifted flour to the sugar and butter mix until blended(do not use a food mixer to fold in flour)
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin
- Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes or until a knife inserted into centre of the loaf comes out clean. Leave to cool in tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire cooling rack.
Banana Bread Versions
Choc Chip Banana Bread
Add 2 heaped tablespoons of miniature, semi-sweet chocolate pieces when you add the flour to the cream mixture and fold in as per the recipe above.
Cinnamon Banana Bread
Add 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon to the flour to the flour mixture and fold in as per the recipe above.
When the bread has cooled put on the cinnamon cream frosting. Recipe below
Cinnamon Cream Frosting:
- 4oz cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or essence
- 2oz Icing sugar or confectioners sugar
- 1oz softened butter
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (1/4 tsp for cream, 1/4 tsp for sprinkling
In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until creamy add vanilla extract and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon. Gradually stir in the icing sugar.
Using a spatula spread the cream over the top of the cooled banana bread and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon.
Nutty Banana Bread
Add 4oz unsalted mixed chopped nuts when you add the flour to the cream mixture and fold in as per the recipe above.
Blueberry Banana Bread
Add 6oz of blackberries when you are folding in the flour as per the recipe above.