Gold Medal Cheesecake - Call It Cherry or Strawberry but it's All About The Crust!
Work area set up.
Let's begin by getting our work area set up with everything needed to measure, mix, bake and add the final topping. You will need a measuring cup, a medium mixing bowl, a large cake pan (13" X 9" X 2"), an electric mixer, a set of measuring spoons, can opener, fork and a rubber spatula.
Classic Yellow Cake Mix
- Box Yellow Cake Mix
- 1/3 cup Butter
- 2 - 8 oz pkgs Cream Cheese, Softened
- 2 Eggs, Room Temperature
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 2 cups Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Vanilla
- 1 can Cherry Pie Filling
- 1 can Strawberry Pie Filling
Making the Crust, Filling and Baking
- Pour 1 box of Yellow Cake Mix into a medium mixing bowl and add 1/3 cup of butter or margarine.
- Beat until crumbly and pour into an un-greased cake pan. Use a fork and pack the mix but keep it light. Once this bakes you want it to remain chewy and over packing will make the baked crust very crispy.
- Using the electric mixer, beat 2 packages of Cream Cheese (softened) with 2 Eggs (room temperature), 3/4 cup of sugar and 2 tsp vanilla.
- Pour the creamy cake mix onto the crumbly crust in the cake pan and bake in oven at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes. Remove from oven and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Mix 2 cups of sour cream, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tbsp vanilla and pour onto the COLD cheesecake.
- Using a large cake pan, I cover 1/2 of the cake with cherry pie filling and 1/2 strawberry pie filling. One can of each makes for a great mix that is sure to please the entire crowd.
You can add Cherry, Strawberry or go with Chocolate Swirls. The topping is up to you but keep in mind that it will take about 2 cans of whatever filling you decide on to complete this yummy cheesecake.
Cheesecake with chocolate swirls in the filling
When To Serve???
As long as you have let the crust and the mix refrigerate at least 2 hours you can serve this as soon as the topping goes on. If you really want to impress the crowd, I recommend leaving this completed cheesecake in the refrigerator over night to chill and then serve. There is something magic about the final taste and texture of this cheesecake that only occurs if it has been allowed to chill over night!