Best Practices in the Food and Beverage Industry
How Food Handler can Contaminate Food?
1. Having a direct contact with sick people
2. Engaging in preparing and cooking food while sick
3. Poor personal hygiene
4. Touching anything without washing afterwards
5. Working with uncovered wound
Proper Handwashing is considered as the most effective ways to maintain good personal hygiene. It prevents the spreading of harmful bacteria such as E. Coli, Salmonella and Staphylococcus Aureus.
What should be provided for Hand Washing?
1. Designated hand washing sink.
2. Hot or cold running water.
3. Soap dispenser.
4. Paper towels or dryer.
What are the Steps of Proper Handwashing?
1. Wet Hands - Make sure to remove any jewelry before washing hands. Wet hands first with warm water at least 100F (39C).
2. Apply Soap - Always use an effective liquid soap or bar soap.
3. Scrub or Lather Hands - Scrub fingers, nails, front and back of hands, wrists and up to the exposed part of the arm. Rub hands for at least 15 to 20 seconds long.
4. Wash or Rinse Hands - Rinse hands thoroughly under running water until totally soap free.
5. Dry Hands - Dry hands completely using a drying or a paper towel.
6. Turn Off Water - Use a paper towel to turn of the water faucet.
How Often Do We Need to Wash Our Hands?
1. After eating, drinking or smoking.
2. After handling money.
3. After using the toilet.
4. After using handkerchief or tissue.
5. After touching ears, hair, nose or other body parts.
6. After touching unclean surfaces.
7. After touching waste.
8. After using dirty equipment.
9. After working.
10. Before going to work.
11. Before eating.
12. Before and after using gloves.
13. When working with ready to eat foods.
14. When working with raw meats.
What are the Proper Hand Care When Working in the Kitchen?
1. Keep nails clean and trim.
2. Never wear ring while working though plain band ring is allowed.
3. Work without nail polish or fake nails.
How to Maintain Good Personal Cleanliness?
1. Avoiding the growth of facial hair.
2. Covering head with hat or hairnet.
3. Maintaining proper haircut.
4. Removing apron before going to the toilet or leaving the food preparation area.
5. Taking daily bath.
6. Trimming nails properly.
7. Wearing clean uniform.
What are the Things to Consider When Using Food Handling Gloves?
1. Gloves must be changed regularly. Either after every task or every 4 hours if working with a single task for the whole time.
2. Gloves must be disposed once removed.
3. Gloves must be replaced once get ripped or torn.
4. Gloves must be used when preparing ready to eat foods.
5. Gloves must be used once.
6. Gloves must never be washed.
What are the Situations that Could Cause Cross Contamination?
1. Cleaning working are with dirty cloth.
2. Cutting raw chicken and raw vegetables in one chopping board.
3. Handling ready to eat foods without gloves.
4. Mixing leftovers to freshly cooked batch.
5. Preparing different food items without washing in between task.
6. Storing ready to eat food, fish, meat and other food items in unorganized manner inside the fridge.
How to Prepare Food without the Use of Gloves?
1. By using deli paper
2. By using napkins
3. By using spatula
4. By using spoon and fork
5. By using tongs
6. By using waxed paper
How to Handle Food Properly?
1. Change gloves, utensils and dishes when handling different kinds of food.
2. Cook enough food based on the amount needed.
3. Do not use clothing to wipe hands because it can easily transfer bacteria.
4. Make use of paper towels to clean up during food preparation.
5. Never taste food using the cooking utensils.
6. Position the handle of the pan away from you to avoid spilling.
7. Prepare precooked frozen foods accordingly. 8. Wash and sanitize kitchen tools and equipment regularly.
Do You Always Practice Good Personal Hygiene Practices?
© 2016 Dred Cuan