Gourmet Cake Recipe: Root Beer Float
If you believe that there are three cake flavors: Chocolate, Yellow and Vanilla—or even worse, “white”—then you need to try this. There is a world of gourmet cake flavors. One cake flavor that always pleases is Root Beer Float. Try this easy to make, no fail recipe:
- 2 boxes white cake mix
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 2/3 cups root beer
- 16 ounces plain vanilla yogurt
- 8 egg whites
- 1/4 cup vegtable oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 drams LoRann root beer flavor
- Mix together cake mix, flour, sugar, and salt
- Mix in remaining ingredients one at a time in order listed
- Make sure items are blended well
- Bake at 350 degrees until toothpick comes out of center clean
Special Noteson Cake:
- 1 Dram = ~3/4 teaspoon , if you can’t find LoRann’s you may substitute another root beer extract
- This recipe yields a large amount and a Kitchen-Aid Mixer is probably desired.
- Bake, Decorate, and Celebrate has an excellent guide for pan conversions and cooking times
- Bake cake 2-3 days ahead of time, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then foil, and place in freezer; this will make the cake extra moist.
- Level and frost while frozen. Serve thawed.
If you are not making a sheet cake or you plan on layering your cake, you will want to use a gourmet filling. An excellent filling for the Root Beer Float cake is White Chocolate Truffle filling. It is decadent and doesn’t get lost with the root beer flavor.
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups white chocolate chips (2 bags)
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 2 cups powder sugar, sifted
- Beat the cream cheese.
- Melt the white chocolate and butter together in microwave; beat into cream cheese.
- Add vanilla and powdered sugar. Beat well. It thickens as it cools.
- You can soften it for a few seconds in the microwave if it gets too thick to spread.
Special Notes on Filling:
- Real white chocolate (i.e., Ghirardelli) and will make the filling very sweet. For a less sweet flavor use white chocolate flavored chips (i.e., Nestle).
- Add butterscotch extract for a butterscotch filling and have a Butter Beer Cake, ala Harry Potter
Frost with your favorite recipe.
- Impress your friends