Grab-N-Go Mini Candy Apple Pies
Slice of Homemade Apple Pie...Can't Take It With You - Until Now!
One of my first hubs was about my husband's favorite dessert, Apple Pie. Everyone seems to have their own favorite recipe, that hub was me sharing my family's favorite with my own little twists. But now, with everyone seemingly on the go all the time, I figured it was about time for me to come up with my own little apple pie snack that can be grabbed and taken along with you - my Grab-N-Go Mini Candy Apple Pies are the solution to my snack-and-go problem.
Prep and cook times vary, obviously, with each individual person and each person's oven.
Apple Pie Filling Ingredients
- 3 - 4 medium sized apples, chopped in 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 T. corn starch
- scant 1/4 c. brown sugar
- scant 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 T. butter, small pieces for individual pies
- INGREDIENTS FOR THE CRUST
- 2 c. unbleached, all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 T. sugar
- 2/3 c. plus 2 T. Crisco shortening
- ice water to bind crust together
- Few Tablespoons 1/2 and 1/2 for brushing on pies
- Few Tablespoons raw sugar for sprinkling
- INGREDIENTS FOR CANDY APPLE TOPPING
- 3 T. butter
- 1/3 c. brown sugar
- 2 T. whipping cream
- Prepare the crust: Mix flour, salt and sugar together. Using a fork, cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles pea-sized crumbles. Add ice water a little at a time mixing as you go until everything sticks together but is not too wet. Cover with tea towel and set aside.
- Prepare the filling: I found that apple slices are just too big for these mini pies so the apples need to be peeled, cut into quarters, cut the quarters into four or five slices and then cut the slices into four or five small chunks. Put the apple pieces into a medium sized bowl. Add the lemon juice and stir to cover the apples. In a separate bowl, combine the sugars, cornstarch and cinnamon. Add the sugar mixture to the apples and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Roll out 1/2 of the pie crust on a floured board as thin as you can get it. Cut out as many 5 1/4 inch circles as you can. Put about 1 to 2 T. of the apple filling in the center of each circle. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (optional) and a small pat of butter. Brush the outside with an egg wash (one egg beaten with 1 T. of water). Place another round of crust on top, gently pushing the crust to cover the apple filling. Fold bottom crust edges up over the top crust and then press with a fork to seal. Place on parchment covered baking sheet. Continue with rest of crust and filling. Once all pies are made and sealed and placed on baking sheets, brush the mini pies with 1/2 and 1/2 and sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 to 40 minutes or until the pies begin to turn golden brown.
- In the meantime, prepare candy apple topping by combining the butter, brown sugar and whipping cream in a saucepan. Bring just to a boil and remove from heat. When the pies are golden brown, pull them out of the oven and brush them with the candy topping. Place back in oven just for a minute until the topping is bubbly. Remove pies from oven, place on a cooling rack and allow pies to cool.
The Perfect and Delicious Snack Pie
These little mini candy apple pies are so good and very versatile. They are perfect just picked up and eaten as a snack, served on a fancy plate with a side of vanilla ice cream and a cup of coffee with a friend, as a lunchbox snack or as special individual desserts for a dinner party. If you can keep everyone's hands off of them long enough, you can also freeze them. They thaw wonderfully well. To freeze, just place individual pie, once completely cooled, into a sandwich bag and seal. After all have been placed in individual bags, place the bagged pies into a larger gallon sized Ziploc bag and place on a flat surface in your freezer. When you want one, just grab one out of the freezer, put in a lunchbox, or let thaw out about 10 minutes and then enjoy. You could probably thaw them quicker in the microwave, but I have not tried that. They do not take that long to thaw on the counter so no real need for the microwave. There you have it - A scrumptious and delicious Mini Candy Apple Pie snack on the go.
Common Dessert Snacks
Individual Apple Pie
Slice of Cheesecake