Graham Cracker Coffee Cake Recipe
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 25 min
- Ready in: 40 min
- Yields: 12 servings
Do you like graham crackers?
Graham crackers do, too often, get left in the back of cupboard and forgotten, but if you think of them as a main ingredient instead of a nuisance of the pantry you can make some delicious recipes.
There are many different things that you can do with graham crackers. They are not just a quick and simple snack you spread peanut butter on or use to make a crust for a cheesecake.
I made my own graham cracker not that long ago and I needed to think of something to do with them. One of the first things I tried was making chocolate chip cookies with them and they were some of the best cookies I’ve ever eaten—they were moist and extremely flavorful and I ended up eating the whole batch before I knew. (The molasses in the graham crackers really helped to keep the cookies moist and chewy.)
So, with the remaining 12 ounces of graham crackers I had left over, I thought that I could make another fun treat with them. So, I decided to make a graham cracker coffee cake. Much like the cookies, this is very moist and very tasty. I sprinkled crushed graham cracker crumbs on top just to use up my batch of crackers, but you don’t have to add this step.
This coffee cake is great for a quick breakfast or snack and is excellent for afternoon tea or coffee. It only takes about 45 minutes in total to makes this cake and it can easily last you a week.
12 ounces of Graham crackers (this will make 1 and 1/2 cups of crushed graham crackeres)
1 cup of all-purpose flour (or cake flour if you have it)
¼ cup of white sugar
¼ cup of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoon of double acting baking powder
1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter
1 whole egg
1 cup of whole milk (or heavy cream)
½ teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
1. In a food processor, crush up the 12 ounces of Graham Crackers, and separate it in one cup and also half of a cup.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degree F.
3. In a small mixing bowl combine and sift the one cup of all-purpose flour, the baking powder, and the salt.
4. Using a standing mixer combine and blend together until fluffy, the one stick of unsalted butter, the pure vanilla extract, the brown sugar and the white sugar.
5. Add the whole egg, and mix together with the other wet ingredients.
6. Add the milk to the ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
7. Add the flour mixture, in thirds, to the butter and milk mixture until well blended,
8. Add the 1 cup of crushed graham crackers to the mixture mix until well combined with the other ingredients.
9. Spray a medium (13 x 9 inch) baking pan, with butter flavored cooking spray.
10. Pour the graham cracker coffee cake batter into buttered pan.
11. Sprinkle the ½ cup of graham crackers over the top of the batter.
12. Bake the coffee cake for 25 minutes.
13. Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool completely before cutting and serving.