- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Vegetable Main & Side Dish Recipes
Grain-Free Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 1 hour
Ready in: 1 hour 20 min
Yields: Makes about 15-20 rolls
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced into 1/2 in squares
- 1 zucchini squash, diced into 1/2 in squares
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken
- 1 bunch kale, washed and finely chopped (or processed in food processor)
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 TBS Olive or Avocado oil
- 1 head green cabbage, core removed
- 1 jar (16 oz or more) pasta or tomato sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 425. Place in a ziplock bag: 2 TBS olive oil, basil, oregano and sea salt. Mix around with your hands, then add eggplant, zucchini, and red pepper. Set aside until oven is ready.
- When oven is preheated, place the veggies on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes on each side (after the first 10 minutes, you can just stir them around with a spoon and put them back in for another 10 minutes). When veggies are done, take them out and set aside, and reduce oven temp to 375.
- While veggies are roasting in the oven, bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the cabbage. Boil for about 6-8 minutes or until just soft enough to pull apart.
- In a large pan, saute onions in 1 TBS olive oil on medium-high heat until translucent. Add garlic, stir and cook for about 1-2 minutes then add ground turkey or chicken. Cook until ALMOST done, then add the roasted veggies and 1 cup of sauce.
- In a 9 x 13 glass or oven safe dish, spread a thin layer of sauce on the bottom. Take the cabbage out of the water and pull off a leaf one at a time. To each cabbage leaf, add about a spoonful of the meat and veggie mixture, sprinkle some shredded cheese on it, and roll it up as best as you can. Place the cabbage rolls in the oven-safe dish one at a time. They can be squished together and even on top of each other. Cover with the rest of the sauce.
- Bake in oven, uncovered, for about 35-40 minutes.