- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients»
- Vegetable Ingredients
Gram Flour Fritters With Spinach and potato/Palak Pakora
How Many Stars for Gram Flour Fritters?
Pakoras : A speciality food of Iftaar in Ramadan
Fritters are a good starter or side dish and are served with a variety of dipping or chutneys.Gram flour being naturally gluten free and incredibly flavorful and versatile has become my favourite ingredient.Gram Flour Fritters or palak pakoras are appreciated almost everywhere in the world.Pakora is considered a famous street food in Pakistan and India. This recipe of Gram flour fritters are a specialty of the Islamic month of Ramadan. Apart from other religious rituals and fasting there are some foods which are considered specialty of Ramadan. Opening fast with something spicy and appetizing like Gram flour fritters makes meal time more fun and exciting
Besan flour is Gluten free
The best thing about this snack us that it is made with chickpea flour or besan flour which is whole grain and naturally gluten free thus making pakoras enjoyable for people with gluten intolerance who otherwise have less options for snacks.
- 2 cups Gram flour/ Besan
- 2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 cup Chopped spinach, Frozen or fresh
- 1 large potato
- 1 small onion, optional
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1tsp coriander seeds, optional
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder, or Crushed chilli flakes
- Yoghurt 1 Tbsp, optional
- 1 Tbsp Dry Fenugreek leaves, aka Methi
- 2-3 cup Cooking oil, preferably canola or vegetable oil
Fenugreek or methi leaves used in the recipe are available on Amazon
How to Make batter
- In a large mixing bowl , mix gram flour, salt and other spices and add about 1 cup of water to form a smooth thick batter.
- Chop potatoes like shown in the picture and add to mixture. Potatos can be cut in any shape julian or small slices but the cuts have to be thin so that they can be thoroughly cooked when frying.
- Chop fresh spinach or use frozen. Add to batter and mix everything except cooking oil to form a smooth and somewhat thick batter which has a pasty consistency( check picture below).
How to Make Fritters
- Let the batter sit for few minutes to help spices mix and leave their aroma.
- In the meantime heat oil in a pan for shallow frying or a wok (Kadahi) for deep frying.
- Check the temperature of oil by dropping a tiny bit of batter in it. If it floats up it has reached the right temperature. If it sits in the bottom wait for another few minutes before frying fritters.
- Take big heaped Tablespoon full of batter and drop it in the oil. I use hands to drop fritters in the wok but I do not recommend to beginners as the temperature of the wok can be very hot.
- Now Turn heat to medium or low and cook Fritters on both sides until they turn light brown and crispy.
- Take out gram flour fritters on a plate lined with paper towel to absorb excess oil. Serve with chutney. For recipe of chutney check out my other hubs.
For the recipe of chutney
- Eggplant Pakora With Mint Chutney
Tasty snack recipe of eggplant or baingan cutlets in naturally gluten free gram flour batter deep fried until they are crispy. Eggplant pakoras are a great tea time snack or a starter to any meal.
Pakoras are incomplete without mint chutney. I found this chutney on Amazon which has a long shelf life and tastes as good as home made chutney. Give it a try.
According to My Fitness Pal
|Serving size: 1 about 6 fritters|
|Calories from Fat||144|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 16 g||25%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 15 g||5%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 407 mg||17%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Gram flour is available on Amazon
© 2015 Ash