Gram flour (Besan coated)Battered Pan Fried Fish
Here comes another recipe for sea food lovers out there. Those who have seen my recipes know that there is always a 'Desi' touch to all my recipes of fish as I cannot stand the 'fishiness' of fish so I take help of aromatic Indian spices to make it agreeable and not smell fishy if you know what I mean by 'fishiness' it is that fish like smell in the flesh of fish from all the protein it is blessed with.
In the following recipe I used Tilapia which is just a personal preference. Pamphret ,cod and other fleshy varieties do just as fine.
- 8-10 pieces Fish Fillets or pieces, Tilapia or Cod or one of your choice.
- 1 1/2 cup Gram flour, Besan / Chickpea Flour
- 1/2 tsp CAROM seeds, Ground
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds, Ground powder
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds powder
- 1 Tbsp Ginger paste, or powder
- 1 Tbsp Garlic paste, or powder
- 1 tsp Salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1/4tsp Dry Methi leaves (Fenugreek leaves), crushed
- 2-3 Tbsp Distilled white vinegar
- Canola or vegetable oil for Frying
T-fal frying pans are my all time favorite. Check out this one as it has a nice stay cool lid and a long temperature resistant handle to assist with frying and
- Pour few table spoons of vinegar on Fish fillets thawed on room temperature and coat well.
- Leave it for 15-20 minutes,wash with water and drain.
- Rub ginger and garlic paste on fish fillets and leave aside in a colander for about half an hour.
- In a seperate bowl mix together besan/chick pea flour with all the ingredients except oil and mix well to make a smooth batter.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium flame.
- Coat the fish in batter and mix them very well to make sure fish is evenly coated on all sides.
- Drop each fillet slowly in hot oil.
- Do not stir for first couple of minutes.
- Turn the fillets after two to three minutes and cook on the other sides.
- In about 5-6 minutes fish fillets will be done. Cook another few minutes to make extra crispy and brown like the picture shown below. Keep heat medium through the process.
- Enjoy crispy golden fish fillets with hot sriracha sauce....simply delicious.