- Food and Cooking
Grandmas Portuguese Bolo Fiado
Pastry and filling
- 375g Flour
- 60g butter
- 1 teaspoon soft sugar
- 4 yolks of eggs
- 2 tablespoons toddy
- 1/2 teacup coconut milk
- A pinch of salt
- 150 cashew nuts
- 500g sugar
- 1 teacup water
- 1/2 wineglass rose-water
Prepare the filling
- Skin the cashew nuts and chop them very finely.
- Put the sugar and water into a preserving pan and stir over the fire until it forms a fairly thick syrup.
- Then add the cashew nuts and the rose-water.
- Lessen the fire, and continue stirring until the mixture thickens; but it must not harden.
Prepare the pastry
- Sieve the flour into a basin and mix in the sugar and salt.
- Add one- third of the butter and rub together with the tips of the fingers and thumbs until as fine as bread-crumbs.
- Make a well in the in the center, add the eggs well beaten and milk to make a softish dough.
- Turn on to a floured board and knead lightly until free from cracks.
- Then flour the board and roll the paste out into a long narrow strip.
- Divide the remainder of the butter into four equal portions, put one portion on the past in small pieces, flour the surface lightly and fold it in three.
- Roll out the paste again and proceed as before until the remaining portion of butter have been used.
- Roll out rather thinly and cut out four rounds, three to the size of a dessert plate and the fourth round an inch bigger.
- Flour a dessert plate and line it with a big round of paste allowing the edges to over lap.
- Divide the cashew nuts mixture into three potions and spread one portion evenly on the paste lining the plate,cover with a round of paste, then a layer of cashew nuts and the last round of paste.
- Wet round of paste overlapping the plate. Then flute round the edges neatly with a knife.
- Brush it over with beaten egg and bake in a good oven for about one hour or until nicely browned.
# Quality ingredients and good coking utensils will always make a successful recipe.This recipe is for the ones who want to try out new tastes sensations.Great for kids they will just love it ! try it today.