- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Granny's Fried Bread Recipe
You will not find this recipe anywhere else on the internet. It is a family recipe that has never before been published. Fried Bread was invented by my Great Grandmother, Evelyn Cook, during the Great Depression. Money was tight so she had to find ways to feed her family with few resources. The result is a recipe that has been passed down and enjoyed for five generations.
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 cup Milk
- A half loaf White Bread
- As needed, Cooking Spray
- Mix sugar, flour, egg, vanilla, and milk together in a bowl. Your mixture should become the consistency of a batter.
- Cut bread slices in half.
- Heat pan or griddle to medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Dip a half slice of bread in batter. Both sides should be coated with batter.
- Fry bread on griddle or pan until golden brown on each side. If you use a griddle, you can fry several slices of bread at the same time.
- Remove golden brown fried bread from griddle. Serve with butter.
We eat fried bread immediately. We usually have plenty of leftovers. Once it is cooled down, we save it in a zip locked bag and munch on it for a snack. It doesn't last very long!