Grape leaf rolls
- grape leaves (young leaves)
- 2.2 lbs ground pork, (or beef and pork mix)
- 1 carrot
- salt and pepper to taste
- a pinch of dry thyme
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 onion
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp rice
- oil to saute the onions
- a bunch of fresh dill
- Steam the grape leaves then strain them and remove the little stem. (You can buy those in a jar , are already steamed)
- Braise the onion in 2-3 tbsp oil.
- Shred the carrot very thin.
- Mix the meat with all the spices, add carrot ad braised onion and then knead the meat by hand, pouring the wine little by little. The wine makes the meat softer and more tender.
- Add the rice too and then make the rolls inspiring you from the pictures above.
- Arrange the rolls in a pot and pour water over them just to be covered.
- Let them boil for few minutes on the stove then bake them in the oven until leafs are tender and meat is done. Pour the tomato sauce and season with salt the sauce and then bake them for another 15 minutes or so. When they are done, season with fresh dill.
- Serve them warm with sour cream or Greek yogurt.
© 2015 Gabriela Gitoi