Great Fried Chicken - The Quick Way
Rate This Recipe
The need for quick fried chicken
Most families love fried chicken. Tender, crispy battered and deep fried chicken pieces that have a crunch as well as a burst of flavour. Its all good but there are many reasons why you should make your own fried chicken at home, over take out!
In this recipe I will outline the method I use which is quick and easy and the results are great.
Fried Chicken Spice Rub
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp celerey salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (optional)
- 1 Whole Chicken, Or Chicken Pieces Cut Up
- 2 Cups Plain Flour, Flouring Station
- 1 Cup Corn Flour, Flouring Station
- 1 tsp Baking Powder, Flouring Station
- 1 tsp Fried Chicken Spice Mix
- 3 Whole Eggs, Egg Station
- 2 tbsp hot chilli sauce, Egg Station
- Vegetable Oil, For Frying
- Put all the fried chickenspice mixture inredients into a mortar and pestle and grind together to make a smooth spice mixture
- Prepare the chicken. Reserve 1 tsp of the spice mixture for the flour mixture. Sprinkle the spice mixture liberally all over the chicken pieces making sure they are well coated.
Rub the Chicken liberally
3.Prepare the Egg and Flour stations. Mix all the flour station ingredients together, and the same for the egg station ingredients (whisk the egg and hot sauce together). Use large bowls so that you have plenty of space (this is the messy part!)
4. Preheat your oil in a fryer or WOK. We recommend around 180 degrees.
5. Once your oil is ready you can begin the dippin' and fryin' process.
6. Do 1 chicken piece at a time. Dip the chicken in the egg mixture, then immediately roll into the flour mixture. Tip: Dont let all the egg mixture drip away before you flour. scoop some of it with the chicken. it mixes with the flour and creates chunks of crispy batter!
Note. You need to keep an eye on your oil temperature. if it is not hot enough the chicken will get sogged with oil. if it is too hot it will get brown on the outside without cooking inside. I find it best to start off by increasing the temperature to get the chicken brown, then dropping it to make sure it is cooked.
7. Fry the chicken pieces for 10-15 minutes depending on the thickness of the pieces. Make sure everything is cooked before taking it out.
8. Dry the chicken on plenty of kitchen roll or a wire rack and Enjoy!
There you have it. Wonderful fried chicken pieces done in no time.
Now this is not going to be the best fried chicken recipe of all time. Rather it is a quick and efficient method for getting great crispy fried chicken. The baking powder in the flour really makes everything bubble and crisp up. The corn flour adds a light texture so it doesnt just soak up all the oil. This recipe works best with strips of chicken breast!
The beauty of fried chicken is that you can experiment with it. Why not try just salt and pepper as the spice rub (you will be surprised just how good that is!).