- Food and Cooking
Great Ice Cream Cake Recipe: Oreo Crust
Ice Cream Cake with Oreo Crust
Easy Ice Cream Cake Recipe
This great ice cream cake recipe is easy to prepare, uses your favorite ice cream and toppings, and has a delicious Oreo crust. The ice cream cake picture shown is of an ice cream cake made using a pie plate, but you can also use a springform pan to create a very attractive and professional-looking ice cream cake. The recipe only takes about 20 minutes to prepare, but remember to give yourself an extra few hours to let the final ice cream cake set in the freezer and completely solidify for optimal enjoyment.
Preparation and Freezer Time
- 15-20 Oreo Cookies, crushed
- 1/4 cup Butter, melted
- 1-2 quarts Ice Cream, softened
- 1 cup Hot Fudge Sauce, see recipe below
- 1/2 cup Favorite Topping, optional
Hot Fudge Sauce Recipe
- Great Hot Fudge Sauce Recipe
This great Hot Fudge Sauce recipe is thick, rich and delicious. This recipe is also very easy to make with only a few ingredients.
- Remove the ice cream for the freezer and allow it to soften on the counter while preparing the ice cream cake Oreo crust.
- Mix most of the crushed Oreo cookies (save a few tablespoons for later) with the melted butter and press into the bottom and sides of a springform pan or pie plate.
- Spread 3/4 cups of the hot fudge over the crust and place the pan or pie plate into the freezer for 15 minutes. You will use the remaining 1/4 cup of hot fudge in step 5.
- Remove the Oreo crust from the freezer and spread the softened ice cream evenly in the crust. The amount of ice cream needed is based on whether you use a pie plate or springform pan. A shallow pie plate will use less ice cream than a deep springform pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining Oreo cookie crumbs and your favorite topping on the ice cream. Drizzle the remaining 1/4 cup of hut fudge sauce on top of the ice cream cake.
- Place the finished ice cream cake in the freezer before eating. If you can resist, wait for at least 3 hours to allow the ice cream to harden.
Great Ice Cream Cake Variations
- Layered Ice Cream Cake
If you want to have extra fun creating your ice cream cake you can easily create a layered ice cream cake. A layered ice cream cake works best when made in a deep springform pan.
To make a layered, cake spread the Oreo cookie and butter mixture on the bottom of the pan (not the sides) as directed above. Continue to follow the above directions by spreading the hot fudge sauce over the crust. Place the crust in the freezer for 15 minutes, remove from the freezer, and fill the springform pan halfway with softened ice. Sprinkle with crushed Oreos. At this time you can also sprinkle any other toppings you enjoy. Place the ice cream cake back in the freezer for one hour. Remove the ice cream cake from the freezer, spread another layer of softened ice cream and finish the recipe as directed above.
- Ice Cream Cake Crust Variations
This recipe is made using an Oreo cookie crust. However, you can crush up any cookie and mix it with melted butter to make a great crust. Other favorites include: chocolate chip cookies, Nutter Butters, Thin Mints, and Nilla Wafers.
- Delicious Hot Fudge Alternatives
Hot fudge is delicious with oreos, but try experimenting with other sweet sauces such as peanut butter sauce. Replace the hot fudge with peanut butter sauce combined with crushed up Nutter Butters and you are sure to make a sweet and salty peanut butter crust to die for.
- Frosting is Always an Option
If you absolutely love frosting you can frost this ice cream cake. One great way to frost this ice cream cake is to use a tube of decorative frosting and to just frost a ring around the top of the ice cream cake where the ice cream meets the crust. You can also frost the sides of the ice cream cake if you are using a spring form pan. Get creative and have fun!