- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Soup Recipes
Great Northern White Beans and Ham Soup with Southern Corn Bread Recipes.
Great Northern Bean Soup
We love great northern beans. I always had them as a kid with corn bread. We always like to make them when we have leftover ham.
Some information on dry northern beans. Store dry beans in a cool, dry place off the floor. Once I open the beans I store them in a glass jar, keeps bugs away.
Store cooked beans in a covered container in the refrigerator, use within 2 days.
Before cooking dry beans check beans, go through them for small rocks or bad looking beans are discolored. Once sorted rinse in cold water.
Some people soak beans overnight. Beans will triple in size when soaked and cooked so make sure you have a big enough pot. I always use a dutch oven for my beans. I don't soak the beans, the purpose of soaking is to cut down the time for cooking. I always cook beans for hours to get all the flavor into them. Don't overcook they will turn to mush.
If you forget to soak beans fast method.
Pour boiling water over beans and soak for one hour.
Overnight soak method:
- Place beans in a large pot.
- Cover with water at least 3 inches above beans
- In morning drain off soaking water
- Add fresh water to the pot
- 1 lb. great northern dry beans
- 2 lb. box chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1 Tbsp. parsley flakes
- 1 Left over Ham or ham bone
- to taste salt and pepper
- 6 cups water
- Rinse beans. Place in the dutch oven. Add all ingredients bring to boil and turn down burner to low, cover and cook for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Be sure to check beans to make sure they are not burning, stir. Add more water if need be. Near end of cooking time check the beans to make sure they are not over cooked and turning to mush.
- In this recipe you put as much ham as you want in it.
Great Northern Beans Before Cooking
|Serving size: 1/2 Beans|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 19 g||6%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 6 g||24%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Southern Corn Bread
We always have cornbread with our bean soup. I make it in my cast iron skillet. I make Southern corn bread. I don't like Northern cornbread or Johnny Cake.
Perfect Corn Bread
1 cup flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup of yellow or white cornmeal ( Whichever you prefer)
1 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter
Place all ingredients into mixing bowl beat until smooth. Pour in a skillet or a 9x9x2-inch pan. Baked at 425° for 20 to 25 minutes.
Do you eat soup only in the winter?
Copyright © 2015 All Rights Reserved