Greek Recipe - Semolina Cake
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 50 min
- Ready in: 1 hour
- Yields: waiting time 10 hours. Serves 10-15 people
Ingredients for Syrup
- 900g sugar
- 600ml water
- 15ml lemon juice
- 15g lemon peel
- 1cinnamon stick
- 15ml mastic liqueur ( or any other)
- 50g almond for decoration
Ingredients for Semolina Cake
- 500g coarse semolina
- 220g semolina
- 35g baking powder
- 220g sugar
- 1/2 grated mastic
- 1/4 grounded vanillin
- 750g soda
- 240g tahini
Instructions for the syrup
- Add sugar, water, lemon juice, lemon peel and cinnamon stick into a big pot.
- Place the pot on low heat for 5 min and keep stirring.
- After 5 min remove the pot from the heat and remove the cinnamon stick.
- Add the mastic liqueur and stir well.
- Pour the hot syrup over the cold Semolina cake and let it for 8 hours to absorb the whole syrup.
Instructions for the Semolina Cake
- Add both kinds of semolina, baking powder, sugar, mastic, vanillin and soda drink into a bowl and stir all ingredients with a silikon spatula until you have "diluted porridge".
- Place the tahini at the bottom of the oven tray. The height shouldn't be more than 1cm. Empty the mixture over the tray and let it rest for couple hours until it doubles in size. Check if the height is more than 3 cm.
- Start the oven 200 C. In the meantime draw lines with a knife on the surface of the semolina cake to separate each piece and add one almond on each one.
- Bake the semolina cake for 50 min on a medium scale of the oven.
- Remove the cake and let it cool down.
Semolina Cake Nutrition Facts
|Serving size: One piece |
|Calories ||200 |
|Calories from Fat||72|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 8 g||12%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 28 g||9%|
|Sugar 12 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 28 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change
depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been
professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Check out my other Recipes and Articles