- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Green Bean Casserole
In 2002 the Green Bean Casserole secured a place in food history when the Campbell company donated the original recipe card to the National Inventors Hall of Fame. The original recipe was invented in 1955 by Dorcas Reilly, a Campbell's employee. Dorcas is now known as the "Grandmother of the Green Bean Casserole".
Ingredients for Green Bean Casserole
- 1 Can Cream Soup, 10.5 ounce, Mushroom or Chicken
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/8 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Soy Sauce
- 2 Cans Green Beans, 14.5 ounces each
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- 1 1/2 Cups French's French Fried Onions
The original recipe is delicious, but I change it up a little by adding cheddar cheese to the casserole. I also add extra fried onions - my family can't get enough of them and I only buy them for the holidays for this casserole. I bake my green bean casserole in a special dish I've had for years; it has the recipe printed in the bottom of the dish; a picture is below:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large oven-proof casserole stir soup, milk, pepper, soy sauce, green beans, cheese and 2/3 cup of onions.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until hot and bubbling.
- Remove casserole from oven and stir.
- Sprinkle remaining onions over top of casserole, place in oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, serve and Enjoy!
Which green vegetable would be your first choice with a ham dinner?
Green Bean Casserole Additions
Here are some great suggestions of things you could add to your casserole:
- bacon, cooked and crumbled
- slivered almonds
- a few dashes of Sriracha
- grated Parmesan cheese
- diced ham
© 2017 MomsTreasureChest