- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Green Beans with Feta Cheese
Garden Fresh Green Beans
When I was growing up, my mother either boiled the green beans to mush and drowned them in butter, or boiled them with bacon and onion. I still enjoy beans with bacon, but sometimes I want something with a fresher, lighter flavor. Green beans with feta are sauteed in olive oil, a squeeze of lemon juice and fresh cracked pepper. The feta cheese adds a bit of tanginess that brings out the freshness of the beans and lemon.
1 pound fresh green beans, cleaned and stem end cut off
2 cups water
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 clove garlic, minced
Juice of half lemon
Fresh ground black pepper
- Bring the water to a boil in a large skillet. Add the beans, season lightly with salt, cover and boil for 4 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and drain the beans into a colander.
- Heat the oil and butter in the skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced, fresh garlic. Saute the garlic until tender, but not browned.
- Add the drained beans and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Toss the beans to coat evenly with the oil and butter.
- Cook the beans over medium heat for another four minutes, or until tender but still crisp.
- Remove the beans from the heat. Serve hot, sprinkled with feta cheese and a lemon wedge.