- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Central American Cuisine
Green Chilaquiles Recipe
Chilaquiles. are a traditional Mexican dish. Typically, corn tortillas cut in quarters and fried are the basis of the dish. Green or red salsa or mole, is poured over the crispy tortilla triangles, called "totopos." The mixture is simmered until the tortilla starts softening. Eggs (scrambled or fried) and pulled chicken are sometimes added to the mix. The dish is topped with cheese (typically queso fresco) and/or sour cream (crema), and it is served with refried beans. Like many dishes, regional and familiar variation are quite common.
The guide in preparing Green Chilaquiles Recipe
* 12 green tomatoes
* 2 cloves garlic
* Chile serrano (to taste)
* 1 onion
* 1 sprig epazote
* 1 / 2 cup cheese
* 1 / 2 cup cream
* 3 cups water
* Oil (enough for frying)
* Tortillas (one dozen)
1. Cut the tortillas into triangles and fry in oil until golden brown. Place in a paper towel to drain fat.
2. Blend tomatoes, peppers and garlic and fry well.
3. Add salt, epazote and water, and boil.
4. Add the tortillas to the salsa while soft.
5. Cover with cream, crumbled cheese and sliced onion.