- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Weight Loss with Green Papaya Salad
Liesl5858's Green Papaya Salad
Lose Weight with Green Papaya Salad
The main ingredient here is called papaya or pawpaw. The papaya has to be fresh, unripe, firm and crisp. Some papaya even though they are firm on the outside, some of them are soft inside. Papaya is good for diabetics as it is low in calories, fat-free and also good for those who are trying to lose some weight.
The ingredients can be sourced or bought from the Asian Shops all over the world. Some papayas are sold in the local supermarkets here in England. And the rest of the ingredients are easily found in the shops especially the Indian shops, Chinese shops or other oriental shops.
Papaya or pawpaw - is high in vitamin A and C which is good for our skin. It helps in digestion of food and good for regular bowel movement. High in fibre too.
Papaya has also a sweet taste when eaten ripe and it is yellow in colour when it ripens and green when not ripe. It is one of my favourite fruits.
Sometimes we use unripe papaya in our chicken stews or casseroles. It is very tasty with stews or casseroles. Unripe papaya is very bland on its own but if mixed with meat and other vegetables, it becomes tasty.
Green Papaya Salad
- 2 cups papaya, unripe and firm
- 4 pieces lime, juiced
- 2 pieces chilli, red bird's eye or any kind
- 1 tablespoon dried shrimps
- 1/2 cup peanuts, unsalted and with shell preferably
- 5 pieces plum tomatoes, sliced in two
- 2 cloves garlic, skin removed
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce or soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon palm sugar, ordinary sugar
- 4 or 6 pieces lceberg or lambs lettuce leaves
- Grate or shred the papaya and set aside
- Squeeze and take juice out of limes, remove any pips
- Cut plum or cherry tomatoes as you like
- Remove peanut shell if not taken off, pound peanut coarsely and set aside
- In a pestle and mortar, pound the garlic and chillies, add tomatoes, lime juice, fish sauce, palm sugar and the rest of the ingredients and pound lightly including the grated or shredded green papaya until juicy a little bit then stop.
- Put all the ingredients in a big bowl or individual small plates with a bed of lettuce leaves and put the salad on it, sprinkle with crushed or pounded peanuts.
- Taste your salad and if it needs more of the different ingredients add some more, if you like it hot and spicy add more chillies.
- Serve and enjoy
Lose Weight with Papaya Salad
A friend of mine said that she lost a lot of weight when she ate papaya salad for a week. Because it contains all vegetable ingredients, it is good for losing weight and contains no fat but it is very nutritious and healthy to eat. It keeps in the fridge for a week, so you can make quite a bit to last you for a week.
If you don't have pestle and mortar, use garlic press to crush the garlic, just slice the red chillies with a sharp knife thinly, bash the papaya with a rolling pin on a cutting board or cheese board, same with the peanuts (can be roasted or eaten raw). Just mix all the ingredients in a big bowl and serve it on a bed of iceberg lettuce.
This salad can be eaten on its own or use as a starter, snack, or a light lunch or supper and you can eat it with rice if you prefer too. It is a good idea to bring with you to work for light snack or supper meal when you are working on a long day.
Where do Papayas come from?
Papayas come from tropical countries like Asia, Africa, Thailand, Malaysia, India, Shri Lanka, Vietnam, Japan and many more hot countries. In my country, papaya is sold everywhere you go especially in the hot regions of my country.
The thing with papaya is, it is easy to grow and you don't have to be watering it everyday once it has established itself, papaya is self-caring. It looks like a tree by the way. It can grow so tall so sometimes you need a ladder to get the fruits or you need a long piece of wood to shake the papaya tree to harvest its fruits.
They also bear multiple fruits so you get a lot of papaya fruit from one tree only. The fruit ripens on the tree or you can harvest it green then put it in a box with newspaper wraps but the fruit tastes better if it ripens on the papaya tree itself. But if you use them for salad or as a vegetable, it is better to harvest them when they are still green but matured.
Lose weight with Papaya
Have you ever tried using papaya to lose weight.
Papaya salad for weight loss
- How To Plant Pechay (Pak Choi) Vegetable
Pak Choi is the easiest vegetable anyone can grow in their back garden either on the ground, on a pot, on a planter or anywhere there is space. It is good for beef stew and stir fries.
Papaya salad for weight loss
We also have these dried papaya or pawpaw in the Philippines. I often buy these when I go home to my homeland(Philippines). It is a very good idea for snacks.
© 2013 Linda Bryen