- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Weight Loss with Green Papaya Salad
Lose Weight with Green Papaya Salad
The main ingredient here is called papaya or pawpaw. The papaya has to be fresh, unripe, firm and crisp. Some papaya even though they are firm on the outside, some of them are soft inside. Papaya is good for diabetics as it is low in calories, fat-free and also good for those who are trying to lose some weight.
The ingredients can be sourced or bought from the Asian Shops all over the world. Some papayas are sold in the local supermarkets here in England. And the rest of the ingredients are easily found in the shops especially the Indian shops, Chinese shops or other oriental shops.
Papaya or pawpaw - is high in vitamin A and C which is good for our skin. It helps in digestion of food and good for regular bowel movement. High in fibre too.
Papaya has also a sweet taste when eaten ripe and it is yellow in colour when it ripens and green when not ripe. It is one of my favourite fruits.
Sometimes we use papaya in our chicken stews or casseroles.
- 2 cups papaya, unripe and firm
- 4 pieces limes, juiced
- 2 pieces chillies, red bird's eye or any kind
- 1 tablespoon dried shrimps
- 1/2 cup peanuts, unsalted and with shell preferably
- 5 pieces plum tomatoes, sliced in two
- 2 cloves garlic, skin removed
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce or soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon palm sugar, can use ordinary sugar
- 4 or 6 pieces lceberg or lambs lettuce leaves
Liesl5858's Green Papaya Salad
- Grate or shred the papaya and set aside
- Squeeze and take juice out of limes, remove any pips
- Cut plum or cherry tomatoes as you like
- Remove peanut shell if not taken off, pound peanut coarsely and set aside
- In a pestle and mortar, pound the garlic and chillies, add tomatoes, lime juice, fish sauce, palm sugar and the rest of the ingredients and pound lightly including the grated or shredded green papaya until juicy a little bit then stop.
- Put all the ingredients in a big bowl or individual small plates with a bed of lettuce leaves and put the salad on it, sprinkle with crushed or pounded peanuts.
- Taste your salad and if it needs more of the different ingredients add some more, if you like it hot and spicy add more chillies.
- Serve and enjoy
Lose Weight with Papaya Salad
A friend of mine said that she lost a lot of weight when she ate this salad for a week. Because it contains all vegetable ingredients it is good for losing weight and contains no fat but is very nutritious and healthy to eat. It keeps in the fridge for a week so you can make quite a bit to last you for a week.
If you don't have pestle and mortar, use garlic press to crush the garlic, just slice the red chillies with a sharp knife thinly, bash the papaya with a rolling pin on a cutting board or cheese board, same with the peanuts (can be roasted or eaten raw). Just mix all the ingredients in a big bowl and serve it on a bed of iceberg lettuce.
This salad can be eaten on its own or use as a starter, snack, or a light lunch or supper and you can eat it with rice if you prefer too.
© 2013 Linda Bryen