Vietnamese Grilled Banana With Sticky Rice Recipe (Chuoi Nuong)
My love of Chuoi Nuong began back when I visited my in-laws in Hanoi, Vietnam. Vietnam is heaven for foodies, especially when it comes to eating out. It seems we can find any kind of food to sample, from banh mi, sweet soups (che), beef noodle soup (pho), grilled meat, fritters, exotic salad and fruit, you name it and the list is getting longer.
Sweet banana covered with coconut infused sticky rice, wrapped in banana leaf, Chuoi Nuong, a popular Vietnamese treat. It made of banana, coconut, coconut milk and sticky rice. This banana-rice then grill into perfection. It's crusty, smoky and fragrant. It is usually enjoyed with a drizzle or two of lightly sweetened creamy coconut milk.
If you are new to Vietnamese snack or dessert, this banana treat is a must to try. Here is how to make Chuoi Nuong at home. If banana leaf is not available you can replace it with aluminum foil but you will miss rustic banana leaf's fragrance out. For true Asian flavor, use charcoal grill instead of oven. Enjoy it warm or cold with some roasted peanut on top.
What You Need
1 cup glutinous rice
1/2 cup grated coconut (fresh)
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
3 bananas, peeled, cut into 6 pieces
1 1/2 cup coconut sauce (see recipe at Che Bap)
roasted peanut (garnish)
How to Fix
- Wash and rinse the rice under cold running water. Then drain.
- Put the rice, coconut milk, salt and water into small saucepan. Then bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for about 2 minutes or until the liquids has been absorbed. Stirring occasionally to loosen the grain.
- Lower the heat, cover and continue to cook for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer the rice to a bowl. Then add sugar and grated coconut. Use fork to fluff the rice. Set aside to cool.
- Divide the rice mixture into 6 equal pieces. Roll the rice pieces into thin layer. Get a piece of banana and cover the banana in rice. Shape it into a small log or cylinder. Then this small log of Che Chuoi is wrapped in banana leaves. Repeat the same procedures with the remaining rice.
- Prepare charcoal grill to medium-high. Grill the banana and sticky rice for 5 minutes or until charred. Then flip them over, grill for about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to dessert plates and drizzle about 2 -3 tablespoon of coconut sauce over each banana and sprinkle roasted peanuts on.
More Vietnamese Desserts and Snacks
- Vietnamese Glutinous Rice and Black-Eyed Pudding (Che Dau) Recipe
How to make Vietnamese sweet soup (dessert).
- Vietnamese Sweet Rice Dumplings In Ginger Syrup (Che Xoi Nuoc) Recipe
- Taro Pudding (Che Khoai Mon) Recipe
- Vietnamese Baked Cassava Cake Recipe (Banh Khoai Mi)
- Vietnamese Pork Steamed Bun Recipe (Banh Bao)