Ground Beef and Mixed Vegetable Curry
Ground beef curry or Qeema Curry is a popular Pakistani Dish which is simple and easy to cook and digest. It is even better if prepared with extra lean ground beef.
The recipe of Ground beef curry is the same as in my other hub about Qeema curry but the fact that you may add any vegetables of your choice at the end ;makes it even more interesting.
Here is an awesome cooking book of Pakistani food recipes. My go to book for everything from snacks,meals to desserts.
- 1 lb Ground Beef, Regular or Lean (As per choice)
- 1 Medium Onion, Thinly Sliced
- 1 Medium Tomato, Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Paste, Use Fresh if desired.
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Paste, Fresh cloves can be used.
- 1 Curry Leaf, Optional
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds, whole also known as Zeera
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds, or coriander seed powder
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Black cardamom, Optional
- 2 Cloves, or Laung
- 4 Black pepper corns
- 1 Green cardamom, Optional
- 2 Green chilies, Chopped (optional)
- 2 tsp Red chili powder, or Lal mirch powder
- 2 tsp Salt, use less for milder taste
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Fenugreek leaves, Optional
- Cilantro leaves, for Garnishing
- Cooking oil about half cup.
- Mixed vegetables 1 bag ( I used the ones which come in a 1 lb frozen bag including peas,carrots and green beans).
Pictorial guide to making ground beef with vegetables
- Add oil to a cooking pot. Now add sliced onions and tomatoes and stir fry for few minutes.
- Now add the whole spices, salt and chili powder except for fenugreek and garam masala ( save both for the last step)
- Make sure to always add garam masala and funugreek leaves or all spice powder at the end as it may turn the curry dark brown or black or even sour in taste; So timing matters.
- Now add ground beef and stir fry until it changes color( probably it will take few minutes).
- Add 1-2 cups of water and on a medium flame cook with lid Half covered. Let the water dry up.
- Keep stirring every few minutes so that it does not get burnt.
- Pressure cooker can be used at this point if desired.
- When water dries up ,turn the flame to low and add vegetables and stir fry a bit and then add another half cup of water and let cook on low to medium heat for few minutes or until the vegetables are done. It depends on what kind of texture you like your veggies to be if you like them crunchy then cook less on medium heat if soft vegetables are required then cook on low heat for longer time.
- Now add funugreek leaves, garam masala powder ( all spice powder) and chopped green chillies, parsley flakes, ( optional) and turn off the heat and cover the lid. Open after few minutes and serve with chapati (flatbread) or rice.
This ground beef curry can be prepared with many variations. With ground beef curry recipe being the same ; different vegetables of choice can be added in the last step. Few examples of the vegetables that taste and cook well with ground beef curry are peas, cut Okra, potatoes, green beans, corn or even legumes like garbanzo beans ( chickpeas), split chickpeas and ( Chana Daal).Also try my other recipes of ground beef curry
I have tried making ground beef curry with a number of vegetables and legumes. My mother even makes ground beef curry with bitter melon or bitter gourd ( karela) which come out so delicious together. It's a great way of adding vegetables to your diet when you are a meat lover and sometimes worry about not getting enough veggies. Just spice up your veggies with some protein and iron from ground beef and enjoy your meal.
- Ground Beef Curry: (Qeema Masala) Recipe
Lean ground beef curry cooked with several aromatic spices and herbs served with naan or phulka or over rice or noodles is the best recipe of ground beef (Qeema or Kheema as some may call it)..
© 2015 Ash