Guest Recipe - Vidya Sharath
Ingredients for Dosa Batter
- Urad dal - 1/4 th cup
- Red rice ( kuchlakki ) - 1 cup
- Idly rice - 1 cup ( instead of red rice, 2 cups of idly rice can be used)
- Puffed rice- 1 cup
- Methi.- 1 tsp
- Toor dal- 1 tbsp
- Green chilli
- Sugar- 1 tsp
- Soda( eno salt preferably ) - a pinch
- Maida - 1 tbsp
- Salt water- a few tbsp
Ingredients for Aalu Subji-Quantity depends on individual tastes
- green chilli
- lemon squeeze
- mustard seeds
- Soak rice, toor dal , methi and urad dal together for four to six hours. Soak puffed rice separately an hour before grinding. Grind everything together into a fine paste by adding chillies. Add salt and ferment it overnight.
- Next day before making dosas, make a thin paste out of maida, sugar and cooking soda. Take the required portion of the batter in a bowl, add the maida mixture to it.
- Now if you want your batter to be of thin consistency, add some water.
Mix everything properly.
- In a cup mix 1 tsp salt and some water. Sprinkle the salt water on the hot pan or griddle ( this helps in getting golden brown color. Also the griddle used is a regular one and not a non-stick. If you use non-stick, the outer texture may be smooth ). Pour the dosa batter. Increase the flame and cook.
- After a few seconds, sprinkle some butter only on the edges of dosa which helps in roasting. Avoid adding butter in the center as it makes that part soft. Dosa is now ready to serve.
- Preparing Subji - Boil potatoes and peal the skin off. Grind coconut, green chilli, ginger to a paste with a little water.
- Now add in the green chilli coconut paste along with some salt to the potatoes and mash them nicely.
- In a pan, prepare seasoning by heating 2 tbsp of oil and adding mustard seeds and hing when the oil is hot. When the mustard seeds start spluttering, add the mashed potatoes.
- Add lemon squeeze and chopped coriander. Mix well and serve with the dosa.