- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- South Asian Cuisine
NORTH INDIAN HANDI CHICKEN CURRY RECIPE
HANDI CHICKEN CURRY
A North Indian main course.
- 1/2 kg Chicken, (thighs and drumsticks mixed)
- 2 Large Onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup Yogurt
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 8 Cashewnuts, ground to a paste
- 3 Green cardamoms
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1tsp Ginger paste
- 1tsp Garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1tsp Red chili powder
- 1tsp coriander powder
- 1tsp Turmeric powder
- 1tsp Garam masala
- Chopped coriander, for garnishing
- 5 tbsp Sunflower oil
- First in a large bowl, mix the beaten yogurt, ginger paste, garlic paste, salt, garam masala, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder.
- Now add the chicken in yogurt and spice mixture. Make sure the chicken is completely coated with the yogurt. Keep aside for 30 mins.
- Heat oil in a handi or in a pot. Add broken green cardamoms, bay leaves and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the finely chopped onion and stir fry till light brown.
- Add only the chicken to the onions and fry for 5 mins. and then add the rest of the yogurt mixture.
- Keep stirring until the water dries up.
- Add the cashewnut paste to the chicken stir for five mins and then add the milk. Mix well and leave for 10 mins or until the chicken is tender.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and enjoy it with naan, chappatis or rice.